I'd like feedback on my Hub: Gods and Glory: Age of Kings review.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Pumpkineck Bortposted 7 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub Gods and Glory: Age of Kings review. (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
      SmartAndFunposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I only skimmed it quickly, but here are my first impressions:

Remove the close-up of the in-your-face woman's cleavage. Not a great first impression, and inappropriate for the article and this site, as well.

Use only images which belong to you, or you have a legal right to use, and source them so that admin knows you are using them legally.

Add an introduction paragraph.

Add more in-depth information.

Use subheads to organize your information.

I am not a gamer whatsoever. I hope those who are will chime in with more specific advice.

You are off to a decent start. Once you get the hang of it here I think you will do fine. It can take a few tries and some getting acquainted at first.

Edited to add: Write the article as though you were writing it for a professional gaming magazine rather than a casual blog.

1. profile image0
        Pumpkineck Bortposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I appreciate the encouraging words. It was my first attempt and I've gotten some pretty harsh comments. Seems a hateful place.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

People are not being hateful. They are taking the time to give you advice that might improve your hub. If you do not want help, do not ask for it.
          If you want everyone to tell you how great your writing is and that you do not need any improvements, try your friends on Facebook.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image94
    Rupert Taylorposted 7 years ago

It's my impression that HubPages does not like personal accounts very much and neither do I. If I'm a typical a typical reader (not a given) and I come across sentences such as these:

"I linked my Facebook account, steeled my loins and jumped right in! After a battle where I literally did nothing, I found myself in a chat room."

I'm out of there.
    Sorry, but I'm not interested in the fact that you found yourself in a chat room, and I don't think may other people are.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

HubPages hates personal stories which don't offer any useful lessons, but they love personal experiences of places or things. In fact I think HubPages prefers it when you inject some personal warmth and personality into a Hub rather than writing a more formal third person style article.

However, it's also important not to get bogged down in personal chat, which this Hub does. If you take too long to get to the "meat" of the article, you'll lose the reader.  I felt that was the case with this Hub.

A good example is a Hub I read, which offered a fantastic tutorial about how to make a type of quilt.  It definitely "adds value" in HubPages' eyes if you can talk about how YOU made that quilt and how you found the experience - it gives the reader confidence that you know what you're doing.  However, this particular Hubber spent the first four paragraphs talking about how she got inspired to make it by a family heirloom blah blah - the average reader wouldn't have stuck with it long enough to discover the wonderfully detailed tutorial further down the page!

2. profile image0
      Pumpkineck Bortposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It was a review, it had to be a personal account. They also wanted humor. Was my first attempt. I found your "advice" a tad cold and abrasive. Sorry, but I'm glad your "out of here". Marisa, thank you for being polite. I appreciate your input very much.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually I've found the HubPages staff can be a bit lacking in humour, especially where photos are concerned!  Which is why I'm pretty sure that picture of boobs is a problem.

For one thing, it's blurry.  I had a picture of a schnauzer (dog) on one of my hubs and although the picture was high def, its front paw was blurry (because it was in motion). It was just the front paw but it was still rejected.

For another, the Hub is not about tits.  I'm guessing they do belong to one of the characters but that's not enough of a connection.  To give you another example, I had a Hub about beauty products for scrawny necks (which are called turkey necks, right?).  So I thought a humorous picture of a turkey with a scrawny neck would give the readers a laugh.  Nope, rejected because "the Hub is not about turkeys". 

So, light-hearted is great but there's definitely a limit.

3. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 7 years ago

Well too bad, they already deleted their account. I hope they'll come back under another name and try again. IMHO if they would take a little time to get better acquainted with how HP works and what admin wants, they would do just fine here.

Looks like they had a knee-jerk reaction to criticism. Maybe after they cool off a bit they will reconsider the advice.

I think people don't realize how few of us are left here on the forums to give advice. With so many people asking for feedback and so few people to provide it, there is no time for hand-holding and sugar coating, unfortunately. Feedback has become a slap-dash effort; often a link to the learning center is the only response a feedback request gets. This writer actually received fairly lengthy responses and specific advice. Unfortunately, they weren't prepared for the frankness of it.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Wow that's at least the third one.  I didn't get a chance to read this person's article, was it about the same quality as the hubs by "wade rowe" and "imortalone"? Looks like those guys gave up after a couple attempts to get featured, but they didn't delete their accounts.  Those two had trouble with grammar but this guy seems okay judging from his forum posts.  I hope he comes back and learns that he doesn't have to follow advice he doesn't agree with, and that HP forums are full of people giving contradictory and bad advice, LOL. You just need a good filter.

Maybe this guy and Mort Alone can start a support group together and be friends on FB.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

For the longest time I thought his name was supposed to be read as "I, Mort, alone" and then much later I realized he just misspelled "immortal one."

I like your reading a lot more. With the personality he showed to all of us, he probably is alone.

2. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I just quickly skimmed it, but as I recall it wasn't too far off the mark. Better than Morty for sure. I guess I missed out on "wade rowe."

Oh well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)