Flipboard Instead of Twitter?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

Why is there no longer an option to share Hubs on Twitter? It looks like it's been replaced with Flipboard, which seems like a weird choice.

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Flipboard seems ok if you want a  burst in traffic but I have used Twitter every day for years.  I always had to cut and paste the URL though as HubPages never automatically added an image and I always had look for one on my computer.  Very annoying as it is almost essential to tweet a post with an image.  Looks like we are stuck with doing the same.

1. Blond Logic profile image93
        Blond Logicposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sally,
        Regarding Twitter and photos, if you use a site called buffer, you can post via that and it adds a picture from your hub (up to 4 images). No hunting for them.

It is also free to use for one social media site. The paid version allows you to post to FB, Pinterest, Twitter and a few others.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

A twitter post lasts a few seconds. If it is not retweeted, it is gone.
      A flipboard post lasts at least a day, sometimes several. I am sure HP is evaluating which site gives them income, and which is just a waste of space.

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

Hey! What's up with that? I just noticed, too, as I was about to do my routine article tweet. Please don't tell me this is permanent. I've been busy for the last couple weeks, guess I missed the memo. neutral
    By the way, my traffic is up about a hundred views. Could Flipboard be the reason? Mmmm. hmm

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

For those who Tweet, have you ever looked at what results you're getting from it?

Unless you've got a genuine following on Twitter, with followers who will click on your Tweets and visit your Hubs, Tweeting is a waste of time.

At one time, people used to post on Twitter and Facebook because they thought it would impress Google - and at one time, it probably did.  Now it's debatable.  Google knows that a lot of Twitter traffic is self-promotional dross, so it only indexes a fraction of Tweets, as you can see here:

https://www.stonetemple.com/how-much-of … marketing/

@Lisavollrath, from memory you're one of those with a "real" Twitter account, so I can see how the lack of button would be irritating.  But I'm guessing they've dropped it because so many Hubbers are Tweeting for the wrong reasons!

4. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 7 years ago

I used to think it was against Google's Terms Of Service to tweet URLs of articles containing AdSense ads.

1. lisavollrath profile image92
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Nope. It's against the TOS to tweet URLS of the ads themselves.

1. quicksand profile image80
        quicksandposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Well, somebody sometime back had interpreted their TOS  that way.

5. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 7 years ago

I think it's a good move. I've seen hubbers just tweet their articles and not engage with Twitter in any other way. As a regular Twitter user, when I see websites being shared in this manner, I think "spam." To market on Twitter, or any social media network, you have to be willing to be an active part of that network. There's a culture to Twitter, or Facebook, or Reddit.

I think it would prevent hubbers from just spamming Twitter with their stuff. clicking that tweet button is just a way to send something over to twitter without actually going over to use the platform.

You can still make a Tweet, but you'll have to go through more work. That said, it's worth it. If you spend more time actually ON twitter, you tend to get a feel for how to use the network and you'll find yourself interacting with other Twitter users and getting more traffic in the rare event that you do post something that's a bit of a plug.

Just my two cents.

6. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 7 years ago

Most of what's getting posted on Twitter are links pointing to websites that contain trending news more often discussing celebrities, their lifestyles, opinions and whatever else that could interest the 'general public.'

On either side of such pages and at the bottom too you are sure to find tiny images (thumbnails) that are hyperlinked to other sites that contain more similar info and more hyperlinked thumbnails which in turn point to other sites containing still more hyperlinked thumbnails. However some images point to the sales pages of affiliate products and services.

Twitter has become an advertisers haven. Anyways this is one platform where your followers keep increasing with minimal effort on your part. All you need to do is post one sensible phrase once a week and a few days later re-tweet a post of another member.

From my observations the click through rate is 0.7%. That means if you have 10,000 followers, you are certain to get around 70 hits to every link you post, provided you don't post the same link backed by the same phrase more than 3 times in 24 hours.

If you have a Twitter account it would be a good idea to keep watering it the way I do and you don't necessarily have to follow back everybody who follows you. That way you will be increasing the potential of getting quality clicks. Having a Twitter account with a bunch of quality followers is indeed a valuable tool if you are involved in some legit online activity.

DISCLAIMER - This should not be misconstrued as expert advise because it isn't!  smile

7. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 7 years ago

Twitter, Facebook, Goofle Plus, LinkedIn are sort of redundant because with flipboard you can autopost / share with one click and it posts across all. Just add the services from flip. Select which ones or all including more like Tumbr. Say what is exciting about it and click. It functions well. The app helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)