jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Should I approve a comment with some profanity in it..?

1. Michael Kismet profile image96
    Michael Kismetposted 10 months ago

A visitor to one of my hubs left a long, passionate, and relatively well-written comment..But he threw in some f-bombs..  Should I approve it?

Will Google penalize me for allowing comments with some profanity?

1. RonElFran profile image100
      RonElFranposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I just deleted an otherwise good comment because it had profanity in it. That's my practice. But it has nothing to do with Google - I don't know if it's an issue for them or not. I simply don't want to be associated with, or provide a platform for, that kind of language.

Michael Kismetposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for your insights Ron, I am deeply humbled by them.

I was torn because aforementioned hub is on a very, very sensitive subject.  Although he used a couple of profanities, there were no hateful remarks or intentions towards any individual or group.  He was just passionate about his opinions and I would feel a little guilty to deny him his two cents. I wish I could just bleep out the two expletives he used. Thank you again for your response Ron, as always, it is much appreciated.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 months agoin reply to this

In general, the rule of thumb is to not approve comments with excessive profanity. One or two swear words in a long, well-written, well thought out comment shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you personally object.

Michael Kismetposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for clarifying Christy, I'll err on the side of caution and deny the comment. I also sent the new Hubber an email requesting he leave a revised comment, sans profanity.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image99
    Jesse Drzalposted 10 months ago

I have a follow-up question. How about profanity in comments of a You Tube video uploaded? I wanted to use one on a Hub but there were so many F bombs in the comments so I passed and erred on the safe side and found something else.

1. Solaras profile image97
      Solarasposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Good luck with that.  Not to mention all the f-bombs that can show up after you link to the video.  I am interested to know how Google treats that.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 months agoin reply to this

The comments don't load on your article when you use the Video Capsule, so it's ok to use a video on your articles if you wish to, even if the actual video page contains some unsavory comments.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image99
    Jesse Drzalposted 10 months ago

Super valuable information right there. Thank you very much.

working