jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Should I approve a comment with some profanity in it..?

1. Michael Kismet profile image85
    Michael Kismetposted 6 months ago

A visitor to one of my hubs left a long, passionate, and relatively well-written comment..But he threw in some f-bombs..  Should I approve it?

Will Google penalize me for allowing comments with some profanity?

1. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 6 months ago in reply to this

I just deleted an otherwise good comment because it had profanity in it. That's my practice. But it has nothing to do with Google - I don't know if it's an issue for them or not. I simply don't want to be associated with, or provide a platform for, that kind of language.

Michael Kismetposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Thanks for your insights Ron, I am deeply humbled by them.

I was torn because aforementioned hub is on a very, very sensitive subject.  Although he used a couple of profanities, there were no hateful remarks or intentions towards any individual or group.  He was just passionate about his opinions and I would feel a little guilty to deny him his two cents. I wish I could just bleep out the two expletives he used. Thank you again for your response Ron, as always, it is much appreciated.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 months ago in reply to this

In general, the rule of thumb is to not approve comments with excessive profanity. One or two swear words in a long, well-written, well thought out comment shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you personally object.

Michael Kismetposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Thank you for clarifying Christy, I'll err on the side of caution and deny the comment. I also sent the new Hubber an email requesting he leave a revised comment, sans profanity.

2. Jesse Drzal profile image86
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 months ago

I have a follow-up question. How about profanity in comments of a You Tube video uploaded? I wanted to use one on a Hub but there were so many F bombs in the comments so I passed and erred on the safe side and found something else.

1. Solaras profile image91
      Solarasposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Good luck with that.  Not to mention all the f-bombs that can show up after you link to the video.  I am interested to know how Google treats that.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 months ago in reply to this

The comments don't load on your article when you use the Video Capsule, so it's ok to use a video on your articles if you wish to, even if the actual video page contains some unsavory comments.

3. Jesse Drzal profile image86
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 months ago

Super valuable information right there. Thank you very much.

working