Posting a link to your own hub on someone else's comments

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

This has probably been addressed elsewhere but I haven't found the answer yet.  Is it ok to post a link to your own hub in the comments section to someone else's hub on the same or similar subject?  I just found such a post in a comment on one of my hubs and don't know whether its a good thing or a bad thing?  Your feedback, please.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whether it's okay is going to vary from author to author, and sometimes even Hub to Hub.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I usually try to figure out if the intention was to help or to self-promote, mostly. In the later case I get rid of comment, sometimes letting a person know why I did this. smile

3. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

this person asked for my comment on their hub - it was nebulous, really.  I decided to approve the comment, but I do feel used, so used.

1. Freya Cesare profile image76
      Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was did that several times, 4 actually. But it never my intention to used people. But purely because I respected this person opinion since he is really good at that topic and I need to know what he think about my work. Ah, but he did that to me too, so I think no one being used in this case, but purely only our need as writer to share our thought with someone whose have more capability on the topic. smile

I am not really sure about your case though.

2. fresnavee profile image59
      fresnaveeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I probably would have allowed it once, maybe twice...  But you never know who is one hubber masquerading as another hubber.

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

It's almost never a clear cut, that's why I said "mostly" smile

As for being used - isn't it the other side of helping? wink

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

It would never cross my mind to leave a link to one of my hubs on someone else's hub; but I would provide a link to a relevant forum post.

6. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

no real definitive answer here - so I guess that although it is not the best way to make friends, it is still considered ok enough and up to the hubber to approve or deny the comment.  Which means, I still think it sucks but I'll put up with it and not make a big deal, much as I would like to.  hahaha

1. 4x4 profile image61
      4x4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

But it does leave a bad taste in the mouth even with the very best of intentions. But in the end it is the owner of the hub who has the final say. To approve or not to approve.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

It is usually not a good idea-- I don't like to, though I sometimes feel tempted.
    If you think your link might answer a question, it's probably OK to leave a hint (keyword) about how to find your hub.
    I have had other hubbers exchange links with me on similar subjects in this way.

I also think it's perfectly OK to deny a comment if the link seems to be the major motivation for commenting-- depends on the content quality.

8. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I think the 'politically correct' way to do this is to contact the person by direct email and say 'hey, I have this great link'.  I'm not a big fan of someone posting a link on my hubs without me asking them to - even if it is in the comment section because I have not had a chance to review their hub and here it is posted with mine.  I've found most people are good about doing what I stated above - but for those that don't, I agree - don't accept it and contact THEM and ask them to please post a comment without the hub link but that you will review it and if you feel that it is a 'match' you will add it.  No one gets feelings hurt and everyone's happy - hopefully and that is the bubble I live in.

9. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 13 years ago

I was so simple-minded enough that I didn't think others might consider it as "promoting" my hub when I put a link in my comment.  This link was of course relevent to the topic. I did it with good and genuine intention relevent to the topic.

I think next time I should be more careful and sensitive of others' feelings.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

if it fits with the hub content and is clearly not self promotion, I accept the link. I think sometimes we may get too caught up in 'our' page. if people want to click on the ads, they will.

11. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I don't care what their intention is or was.
    They are attaching to my writing because it is good, has alot of comments on it and they know it gets traffic that they don't!
    Anyone posting a link in a comment to me is ONLY thinking about themself and I will delete their comments.
    The way I look at it... It's like Sex... If you want to link me.. ask.. don't assume I like your moves! yikes

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh gosh, that's funny PD. I do see your point. I've hesitated in accepting a comment with a link, but thought if she took the time to write a decent comment, I would leave it.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rebekah.. hope you're well.

Rochelle says it in her post here.
        If you genuinely see a mutual opportunity then 'keyword' the genuine comment that you leave and in that way effectively a link has been established. With the new HuB Linking thingy it should also remove the 'Need' that people feel to be so invasive in their direct linking! hmm

I Hate It when someone does it to me... I feel that they have violated the potential of friendship and professional protocol. Maybe I need to lighten up? lol

12. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I'll  consider the value.

But on the other side, I really hesitate to drop a link no matter how relevant it is.  If I really feel the person needs to know, I will send it to them by some other means.

1. Good Guy profile image83
      Good Guyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix,

Reference my comment above,  actually I was referring to my comment in one of your hubs which I wrote "It's just a click away. "

So from now on, I shall not even mention an "invitation."

Thanks for not deleting that comment of mine.

Now I'm learning Hubber etiquette.

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It did not bother me and I did go looking for your post.  I felt it was relevant.

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I know, it does feel rather intrusive, but how often do you click on a link in someone's comment? I never do, or if I do, I return. I leave links to hubs at places like NYT or relevant articles, but I don't leave links in hubs at HP.

I am doing well, thanks. spent the evening at a sunset concert on the gulf. other than the gulf crisis, I am well. I hope you are as well. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was horrified at that spill.. it is such an important and delicate eco-system there. Oysters, shrimps and scallops will all be destroyed... they are century old industries that rely on good management for sustainability. Just Amazing... so sorry for you guys.

I refuse to fill up at BP and never will again after seeing the attitude of their senior executives. Their maintenance regime is well known as substandard and as such, I believe flogging is too kind a punishment! sad  Wow.. I must be having a grumpy day after NZ didn't progress to the next round at the FIFA W/C hmm

1. MPG Narratives profile image59
        MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey PD, same here for OZ and Italy!! Oh dear I was going to follow NZ after OZ went out, now who?

Re links: I don't really like them in comments, but if I like someone's comment and they're not already a fan, I click to their site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)