jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Monthly membership payments & service fees for freelance work?

1. Rafini profile image88
    Rafiniposted 6 months ago

Is this normal for online freelance work?  The company I'm looking into right now, Upwork, sets up an escrow account for freelancers to handle all their financial transactions.  I wasn't expecting this type of contract to get started.  It's sounding like Upwork handles the contracts between freelancers and their prospective employers - anyone know for sure?  Thanks!

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 months ago in reply to this

It is always good to have the money in escrow when working with third parties through a job board.  That way the employer, who is often an amateur, cannot refuse to pay based on ridiculous and crazy reasons.  So long as the job board itself is run by competent people, it protects both parties.

Rafiniposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Ok, thanks!  Um, how do I find out if the job board is run by competent people?

1. theraggededge profile image95
          theraggededgeposted 6 months ago in reply to this

Great, thanks!

2. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 months ago

Had a look at the site. Quite intrigued. Can you let us know how you get on?

Sure thing!

3. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 months ago

Oh... it's Elance rebranded.

Sort of.  Elance merged with Upworks like the site that merged with HP.  (Can't remember the name of it, cuz I never joined it.)

1. WryLilt profile image86
        WryLiltposted 6 months ago in reply to this

It was formerly oDesk.

4. OldRoses profile image88
    OldRosesposted 6 months ago

I had an excellent experience as an employer on Upwork.  I hired a web designer to do a re-design on my website.  We agreed on a price and goals.  I paid in increments which were held in escrow. The payments were released to her as she met each goal.  By the end of the project, I had a lovely website and she was paid in full.  I would definitely hire from Upwork again.

Cool!  Thanks for supplying a view from the other side.

working