jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Self-promotion in the forum

1. theraggededge profile image99
    theraggededgeposted 9 months ago

There seems to be quite a lot of it lately.

Look left before posting "Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links."

I would also add, don't respond to a post with your own link either. You can point out that you have a hub that might help someone, but don't link.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 months ago

I'm wondering whether HubPages has changed its attitude.   There's a thread advertising someone's book blatantly and nothing has been done about it.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 months agoin reply to this

perhaps nobody reported it.  Did you?

1. theraggededge profile image99
        theraggededgeposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I did the fourth time it appeared - because that was really taking the mickey. Nevertheless, it's still there.

Wish I could promote my blog and hubs like that hmm I expect we all do.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Yes.  And it took a very long time for that flag to be reviewed, apparently--even assuming I was the first to flag it, which I doubt.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 months agoin reply to this

You can always file a report by emailing the team directly if the flag button doesn't seem to be working.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 months agoin reply to this

It was eventually deleted.  So apparently it was indeed against the rules.

3. eugbug profile image98
    eugbugposted 9 months ago

Forgive my ignorance, but why is self promotion bad when the link doesn't take the reader off site?

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Because if it were allowed, then we'd have endless threads on these forums, with people posting their Hubs saying "look at me look at me!"   

I think the thread that prompted this post was one for a book of poetry, which does take the reader off the site.

Also it's always easier to police a rule when it's simple.  If they try to craft a rule that says, "self-promotion isn't allowed except for x, y and z", then people will start arguing about what constitutes x, y and z.

working