jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

How to find legal images to use in a Hub about a TV show?

1. Julia Regier profile image86
    Julia Regierposted 3 months ago

I'm writing an article about the CW's show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and I really want to be able to include still photos from the show (as is commonplace on Buzzfeed, Vulture, etc.). The CW has a great photo gallery on their website, but it's pretty clear that I don't have the rights to use those images. For my other articles I've been using Wikimedia Commons to find images - which is great for some topics, but not for this piece. I'm curious: what do others use for images in an article about entertainment/media? I want to be 100% legal, so it seems like I may just have to go with embedded videos and the show's logo. But I've been sitting on this article for a while now for this reason - I'm not satisfied by its presentation without actual images from the show.

Any advice/info from people who've written on entertainment and media is appreciated! Thanks!

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Hi Julia,

It can be really tricky. One idea is to visit the TV show's website and see if they offer any promotional materials for fans to use. You can email them as well and ask if they have any media kits for people writing articles and reviews about the show, including ones that earn from ads. Otherwise, a video is probably the safest way to go.

1. Julia Regier profile image86
        Julia Regierposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Thanks so much!

2. jrk1121 profile image80
    jrk1121posted 3 months ago

If you take a screenshot of the show and are talking about the picture in your article. It's considered fair use of a copyrighted work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 2 months ago in reply to this

Fair use does not usually apply to using the images for commercial purposes (like posting on HubPages and earning money from that work).

working