Should I create a Hub about the Blackhat world of the Internet?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (20 posts)
  1. SpaceShanty profile image92
    SpaceShantyposted 8 years ago

I have been spending some time on Blackhat forums and websites and am thinking about creating a Hub about it.  Purely for information/interest purposes and to educate Hubbers here to the tactics used by scammers & content thieves.  I just don't want to get any of my (legitimate/legal/whitehat) accounts banned.

Some of the the things I have learned-

Hosting companies that offer services with a 'we ignore DMCA take down notices' guarantee.

1000 Facebook Likes/Youtube Views/Pinterest Followers/Twitter Followers/Google +1s can be purchased for as little as $5

Article spinning services that will pass plagiarism checkers guaranteed or your money back.

Twitter/Pinterest/Facebook/Instagram bots for sale.

SEO services to get your site to the top of Google.

People making $1000 per day from these methods.

I am in no way endorsing/encouraging or condoning these tactics but I thought it would make an interesting Hub.

Thoughts?

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are a few hubs on HP about that topic already. I didn't read them (not my cup of tea).

2. Muttface profile image80
      Muttfaceposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's a fascinating topic.
      I had a peek over in some of the Blackhat forums recently and I was appalled and intrigued in equal measures. They are extremely casual when discussing sneaky ways of getting people to come to their sites. Many of them make buckets of money throwing up spun content. I remember one guy proclaiming that his worst material brought in the most money because the articles were so bad that people clicked on the ads instead.
      He was preaching to the other forum members that original, well-written content is unnecessary to make sales. He was also enamored with paid backlinking, which I thought was old-fashioned practices, but he reckoned it was the best way to get people to your site. This was some of the advice they were dispensing: have loads of sites; get the punters in; bore them with your articles; get them clicking; have lots of fall-back websites in case Google discovers your rubbish; don't put them all on WMT in case they contaminate each other...etc. There is even some trick that they use to find articles from lapsed webpages, so they can steal them, sell them and spin them. Shocking behaviour!
      I would love to read your article, but don't know how safe your account would be. Perhaps something like 'How to Protect Your Site From Blackhat SEO' might balance the boat.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I found it appalling and surprising when I read comments on those forums too, and also I have even seen videos of people who practice black hat SEO in which they were proud of their tactics and encouraged people to do the same as them. Probably they lose everything eventually, I'm sure it catches up to them, and then they start complaining about how unfair sites are that won't let them use their tactics, etc.

1. Muttface profile image80

I sure hope so because these guys were extremely confident that they could run rings around all the G algorithms.

SpaceShantyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

There are confident because that is what they do everyday!

1. Muttface profile image80

After posting here I nipped over to BHW to see what else they were up to and I found a thread that had over 70 pages in it (I'm still reading it!). It's the one that Meathead wrote for newbies to make $100 a day.Absolutely fascinating stuff and I have to admit, quite tempting.
              The only thing that puts me off is trying to make quality spam comments all day long for weeks. Though the idea of spamming everyone is repugnant, I like the way you bypass all the waiting and sniveling and groveling you have to do for Google.
              Have you read that thread? What are your thoughts?

2. SpaceShanty profile image92

From what I have read they spread the risk, use different networks, accounts, proxies and such so that if one goes under there are other sources of income.

2. SpaceShanty profile image92

haha, yeah some of those posts you mentioned sound familiar!  You can understand why people get into it, you spend ages created decent content on sites like this and make pennies, you rip off content and use blackhat methods and make thousands!
        Maybe they are all disgruntled ex Squidoo and Hubpages members!

1. susi10 profile image96
          susi10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm....

wink

Just joking.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 8 years ago

If you created a Hub which "promotes or provides instructional information about illegal activities" you would jeopardize both your HubPages and AdSense accounts.

(That is the exact snip of the terms of use which seems to most closely apply to your Hub idea)

Well I was not planning on creating anything which would provide instructions, merely an insight into  the darker side of the internet, akin to reports on human trafficking and the like which in no way promotes it but simply raises awareness.

Maybe I'll save it for a separate blog.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's all about interpretation. 

Can you explain how people plan and carry out bank robberies while making sure in no way the article encourages anyone to think robbing banks is good or profitable and doesn't provide any information as to how it's actually done?

That would be the challenge with writing about blackhat techniques.  But if your Hub got misinterpreted, you chosen topic comes with no tolerance for "go back and fix it" and shortcuts right to "your AdSense account is banned for life."

How about with Ads disabled?

1. susi10 profile image96
            susi10posted 8 years agoin reply to this

AdSense will still ban you, from ALL hubs.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

It would be a great article because people, writers in particular, should know what black hat SEO even is; many are unaware and could get caught in something that is, in the end, unprofitable.

However, it does sound like it could be borderline against TOS.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Certainly people are allowed to write about black hat SEO. I would think the big SEO blogs, legitimate ones, even address the issue. It's educationally necessary, I'd think.

4. alikhan3 profile image91
    alikhan3posted 8 years ago

Maybe you should Go on and expose these tricks and render them useless ...... or maybe you shouldn't expose them but use them to earn.

5. susi10 profile image96
    susi10posted 8 years ago

Don't risk it. I'd say you should just publish it on another blog. Even though it's sounds like a VERY interesting article, it could be interpreted wrongly by the folks at AdSense.

6. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 8 years ago

I see no difference between the method described over there and the numerous exhortations we get here to spam as many social networking sites, blogs and forums covering slightly relevant topics as we can with links to our hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)