jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

EU slaps Google with $2.7B antitrust fine for favoring its own content

1. Solaras profile image91
    Solarasposted 2 months ago

And they told me it could not happen.  What will be the effect for Google should the US follow suit, literally.
    http://searchengineland.com/eu-slaps-go … ine-277912

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 2 months ago in reply to this

The corporations have semi-divine status in the US, many in the US cabinet are billionaires and regulation of any kind is evil. I don't think Google has anything to fear on your side of the water.

1. Solaras profile image91
        Solarasposted 2 months ago in reply to this

I thought you might be the only one to take a look see. 

You forget Will, this is the most litigious nation ever to exist on this planet.  Google is ripe for the taking; it is irresistible to this nation's strike lawyers not to take a bite at that apple. But as the Wicked Witch noted, "We must be very careful...very careful indeed." . I can only imagine the lawyers smacking their lips, thinking what is the easiest target with the most yummy to yield. 

Alphabet was created exactly for this, to be able to spin off pieces as needed and not get crushed.  Rockefeller had to spin apart Standard Oil; that antitrust suit made him the richest man in history.

Nevertheless it may change Google's strategies in the future. And their algorithms may become subject to scrutiny if they remain in the EU market.  That would be a real game changer, if they have to reveal what they are about.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 months ago

It would be wonderful for us if the US did follow suit and Google was forced to stop loading the top of search results with their own stuff.

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 2 months ago

The dominance of Google in the data field is genuinely scary. And it is not just online stuff, they are looking to fill in the gaps with their cars and their payment systems and their smart home systems and their... anything you can imagine.

That EU ruling could embolden regulators in other countries but I am guessing the US will back Google to the hilt for the foreseeable future.

Interesting about Alphabet as a defensive posture, though. I hadn't given that aspect any thought.

working