jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Facebook Compressing Group Header Image

1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 months ago

Does anyone know a way around this? Apparently it used to be possible to upload images as PNG files, but they compress them now also.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 months ago in reply to this

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but I do know that it always takes me two tries to upload photos for any hub I send to FB.  However, I upload them as part of the URL etc., not separately.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 2 months ago in reply to this

You know the picture at the top of a Facebook personal account, page or group? Well when you upload an image, they don't use the original, they compress it. Basically what this means is that the pixel dimension (think it's about 801 x 291)  doesn't change, but the image size in bytes is reduced. The reason they do this is because less space is required to store it and it can be downloaded quicker. Because Facebook like other companies has to store incredible amounts of data for all their account holders (it costs money to run data centres ), obviously it's better if each file takes up less space. Because smaller files can be downloaded quicker, it also reduces the bandwidth or data throughput of the their computer system.
        Now the problem is that if images are compressed too much, the results can be noticeable, expecially in regions of the image where there is high contrast, e.g. text. At one time, uncompressed PNG images were'nt further compressed when uploaded, but that isn't the case anymore
        Here's an extreme example of compression.
        https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13604129.jpg

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13604132.jpg

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image93
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 2 months ago in reply to this

I haven't noticed this problem but wonder if there is anything we can do about it!

2. eugbug profile image96

It's screwing up the header on my Facebook Group. I've Googled the problem (and tweeted Facebook, who along with Google and Twitter, never respond to queries). There are lots of suggestions, one of which is to keep images less than 100kb, but this doesn't seem to work.

3. poppyr profile image91
    poppyrposted 2 months ago

Have you tried the Facebook debugger tool? Scrape it and it might fix it.

4. eugbug profile image96

For some reason now, images don't seem to be degraded. I experimented with varying degrees of compression before uploading. 73kb seems to work best for my specific image.

working