jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Proofreading

1. Marie Flint profile image91
    Marie Flintposted 3 months ago

Anyone care to proofread my article on proofreading? (I'm good, but I'm human too.)
    https://hubpages.com/literature/Proofreading-Tips

1. poppyr profile image99
      poppyrposted 3 months agoin reply to this

"Also, you may be one of those writers who haven't taken the time to even run the spell check." -> "Also, you may be one of those writers who hasn't taken the time to even run the spell check."

Change "so" at the beginning of the next sentence to "therefore". I don't know if it's technically incorrect, but it reads more smoothly.

"Embarass" -> "Embarrass"

If you're mentioning British spelling (like you did with "acknowledgment"/"acknowledgment") you could say that "license" is also spelled "licence" if it's a noun in British spelling. Same with "judgment" ("judgement" in UK English).

In the "12 Common Writing Errors" section: on number 7 you have a space where it shouldn't be. "Solution ( replace those/he)" -> "Solution (replace those/he)"

In number 11, one of the letters is in bold where it shouldn't be. "Solution: The path..." the T is in bold.

In the "Proofread in 10 Steps" section, number 2, "Proofread only when alert", is the only step without a period at the end. Number 9, "Disengage yourself from the material for at least 20 minutes.." has two periods at the end.

^ In that section, you used some telegraphic speech such as "Observe overall impression to see if it pleases you" and "if none, publish." Perhaps make it so it's in standard English (i.e., "Observe the overall impression to see if it pleases you" and "If there are none, publish", respectively) so that it's consistent with the rest of the article.

With the links at the bottom, it'll look neater for you to just make the links in the text tool so that the writer just has to click the title instead of copying and pasting the URL.

Good article smile

Marie Flintposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, Poppyr--you're exactly the person for whom I was looking!

2. promisem profile image91
      promisemposted 3 months agoin reply to this

It's a very informative article. I suggest breaking up the 12 Common Writing Errors into two or three capsules and put a graphical element or callout in between them to break up the text.

"Proofreading tips" is a good SEO term. You might want to scatter it a few times throughout your article, but not too much.

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 3 months ago

Marie, Poppy did a really great job, but I did notice one thing so obvious that I wonder if you deliberately put it there to see if we would catch it. Under Proofread in 10 Steps,  "1. thDisengage yourself from your work several hours before attempting to proofread". Remove the "th" before Disengage.
    Also in your chart of 25 most commonly misspelled words, "supersede" has a second spelling that is considered a second choice, but not incorrect, "supercede".  I haven't looked to see if it is a British spelling.

1. poppyr profile image99
      poppyrposted 3 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for catching my mistake, MizBejabbers smile

3. fer-nie profile image91
    fer-nieposted 3 months ago

I like it!

4. Titia profile image94
    Titiaposted 3 months ago

In the 12 comma section: number 6:
    Solution (comma inserted after "surgeon"): Jared, blessings upon him, possessed the skill of an experienced surgeon.

Should be: Solution (comma inserted after "Jared" and "him") Jared, blessings upon him, possessed the skill of an experienced surgeon.

Marie Flintposted 2 months agoin reply to this

Thank you, Titia, I'll be sure to check that and correct it. Blessings!

working