jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Snapchat Reveals Your Location--Thoughts?

1. Jeremy Gill profile image96
    Jeremy Gillposted 5 months ago

I don't actually have a Snapchat, but my friends and I have lately been discussing the emergence of the "Snapmap," which basically allows friends who have added each other to literally see exactly where the other is through GPS.

I find this unsafe, and thankfully there's an option to turn it off, but my friends claim the default setting is on; many users will unknowingly reveal their locations at all times. Kinda creepy, eh?

Jeremy Gillposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Haha, maybe my fellow Hubbers aren't as interested in this as myself. I still find the Snapmap risky, but we'll see what the future holds for such technology.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 months ago

To use Snap Map you have to turn it on.  So it is a risk people choose to take if they want to.

Hmm.. I heard an update set it as on by default, but the person who told me so could be mistaken.

And even if it has to manually activated, young (or unaware) users may unknowingly be placing themselves in harm's way. To each their own, but I'd never advocate its use.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Dozens of social networks did it before this one.

You're right, others have done this (Apple's Find my Friends, Facebook's Live Location, etc.) begging the question as to why people panic over this one. After doing some digging, I'd say it's because the app automatically activates it after an update.

To be fair, users are given a walkthrough and a chance to activate "Ghost Mode," somewhat mitigating the issue. Nonetheless, even with a tutorial, I'd advise caution for SnapMap and other forms of location sharing.

working