Picmonkey problem

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

I have been advising people to use the free text editor, Picmonkey.com, for years.  Today I went on the site to rework a photo, and after I did, the site would not allow me to down load it.  Seems they now want everybody to pay a fee for use.  Anybody else having this problem?  Conversely, can you provide me another free photo editing site that I can use.  I like to make Made for Pinterest photos with print on the first photo but can't do this without a good editor.  Advice and info will be appreciated.  Thanks.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You can still download Picasa free from 3rd party sites, not Google because they've "moved on" (their words, not mine). They want people to edit photos in the cloud using their Google Photos product (you could upload images and do that?)
      You can do basic stuff in Picasa like cropping, changing brightness, colour balance, retouching, adding text (which can be scaled, rotated, changed in colour and font). I find it also to be an intuitive and easy to use image organiser and browser.
      Another option is PaintShop Pro from Corel which costs about $75. This is a comprehensive imaging program  (sort of the "Poor Man's Photoshop"). If you ever want to to do any fancy stuff like drawing diagrams, it's very useful. It also supports layers so you could for instance have a base photo, add maybe thumbnail images on top of that on a new layer, and then maybe add arrows, lines etc on a third layer to point to things. It supports vectors, which means that if for instance you draw shapes such as circles, rectangles or lines, arrows, or other composite entities made up from these, they can be edited and scaled/moved around later.  If you use a raster imaging program, you can't do this at a later period, because the image is basically a collection of pixels. Once you've finalised your image, then you can save the whole thing as a composite .jpg.
      I did a search for "online photo editors" and came up with Fotor.com which seems to do a lot of the basics. I tried to save an edited image, but you have to sign in, so I don't know whether there are any restrictions. There's probably lots more editors similar to this.
      Gimp is another editor which does lots of stuff. I've always found the interface a bit confusing though. I think it was originally built for UNIX/Linux, so Windows users will find it a bit unfamiliar to use.

1. Venkatachari M profile image82
        Venkatachari Mposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Very much useful information provided by you about so many options available. Thanks for it.
        I am using the Paint tool which is a free one for editing my photos.

You're welcome Venkatachari. Paint is totally fine for really basic editing. A program with vector drawing capabilities however allows text, lines and shapes to be altered.There are lots of free editors, it all depends on how much manipulating you need to do to images.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Eugbug:  Thanks for the info.  I was so disappointed with PicMonkey, especially with the way they did it.  They let me waste my time editing a photo, and THEN let me know I'd have to pay to use the site.  I may just have to bite the bullet and buy the basic plan for $4.00 per month because it really is a good program and I won't have to have a new learning curve,but I'm not happy with them right now.

On a related topic, I notice too that one of the image hosting sites I use for posting images to forums has discontinued free hosting.
          I don't think there would be a steep learning curve if you decide to use new software, and in any case we could help you if you run into problems smile

Thanks.  I took a look at a few of these sites and found even the ones they say are easy to use difficult.  I'm just going to pay to use PicMonkey.  Too stressful to do otherwise, but I appreciate your help and advice.  I'm making good money now and can write off the cost for taxes, so it will be OK.  Too old to learn new tricks, I guess!

Good for you! Keep trucking (or RVing smile )

I have looked at most of the options everybody here has mentioned, and for some reason those that are "free" are all cautioned against by my virus protection program!  Don't know why because it seems others are using them without problems.

As I noted in another post here, PicMonkey wrote to me and said that they will only allow saving, exporting and sharing for people who sign up for their premium program...$4 per month. I can foresee them raising that cost as time goes on, too, and kind of feel like they're taking advantage of the situation they've created for people like me.

I am NOT good with these types of things, but have been able to successfully and easily use their program. Without it, I won't be able to convert photos for hub use.  Although I said I wouldn't do it, I'm afraid that now I'm going to be forced to buy into the premium program. Don't know what else to do if free programs aren't safe to use and other programs are too complicated.  I tried to work with some of them and just couldn't "get" it.  Hell to be old!

Would you like to modify text on images at a later stage ?(e.g. scale, move, change colour, font etc). A package with vector support allows you to do this.

I rechecked the costs for Picmonkey and realized that I had misunderstood what they were saying when they emailed me.  Their program does all of those things you talk about. They're offering a 7 day free trial for anybody who wants to give them a try.

I did drop a note to the team to see if they would be willing to add a basic image editing program to the HP hubtool or maybe try to strike some kind of a deal with Picmonkey, but I doubt they'll do it, even though it would help the writers here and be good for the site as well.

2. Krysanthe profile image93
    Krysantheposted 6 years ago

Glad to see I'm not the only one who had this issue.   Even though I use Canva to make Pinterest friendly images, I use Picmonkey all the time to edit photographs.   Like you I was pretty disappointed when it wouldn't let me export my picture the other day.

I've used both ipiccy and pixlr in the past.  They both do a good job and are easy to use, but  I don't like them as well as Picmonkey.  I'm sure I'll end up paying the few dollars a month.

I sent an email to Picmonkey about this and their response was that they  will only now allow you to export, share or save photos if you pay them $3.99 per month or $47.88 for a year.   This is for their most basic program.  The super premium program will be about twice that much.

They do have a good, easy to use program, but it would have been nice if they had warned people they were going to start charging before allowing them to take their time doing an edit and then springing the bad news on them!

3. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

Paint.net (not Microsoft Paint) is a free and useful image editing program. It's pretty simple to use.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 6 years ago

I've been using BeFunky to make collages of album covers/etc. for my Hubs for awhile now. I haven't played with it much beyond the collage function but it has a lot of the same photo editing options as PicMonkey.  "Free" customers have limited options/templates or you can sign up for a paid plan for more advanced stuff.

https://www.befunky.com

Picasa is useful for making collages also.

Fat Freddy:

I think you solved my problem.  This is the only program that has not given virus warnings for my computer, and is also fairly easy for me to use.  I still will have a bit of a learning curve with it, but it's free and I think it will do what i need for it to do.

Thanks so much!

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
        FatFreddysCatposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No problemo (tips hat)

5. Jesse Drzal profile image91
    Jesse Drzalposted 6 years ago

Hubbers helping Hubbers..good stuff.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)