On depression

1. TessSchlesinger profile image96
    TessSchlesingerposted 2 months ago

Writing against the mainstream is always hazardous, and when I do, I always make sure to check and double check my sources. It turns out that the hypothesis for depression being caused by chemical imbalance in the brain could never be proven and was withdrawn by the guy who proposed it. There has never been an ounce of proof for it.

So, of course, I've written about that, what it is, possible causes, and how to fix it. Difficult article. But I've done it. Way too long, probably.

I deeply value all input on my articles as, without exception, they are always much improved when I have you guys to read through them and tell me how to make them better.

Thank you again. smile

http://hub.me/alsMW

2. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 months ago

It strikes me that depression is a symptom, it can probably be caused by a lot of different things.  Maybe a less definitive tone would be more convincing.  Otherwise it looks good.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image96
      TessSchlesingerposted 2 months agoin reply to this

You're right. It can be caused by many different things. One of the more interesting studies I read was that when the stomach contained bad bacteria, it affected mood negatively. I mentioned that. The overwhelming common denominator in all cases of depression, though, is the situation and past of the person. And that is more likely the cause than anything else.

There are unanswered questions.

When we become unhappy, does it affect our bodies in some way? Hormones like cortisol? We don't know because it has never been researched. Much research has been done on the increase and decrease of serotonin, and it has been totally disproven to be the cause of depression. The only reason that hypothesis (not theory) still hangs around is because the pharmaceutical companies make so much money from anti-depressants and psychotropic medicine in general.

Thank you for your kind words about looking good. It's amazing how I can look at something three days after I wrote it and spot a typo! One of my artwork pieces has a spelling error! smile You can't believe how many times I looked at it when I wrote it. That is why I always ask for input. My editor friend says writers never see their own typos!

working