jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

I am confused...What is the rule regarding adding Amazon links?

1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 4 months ago

I wrote an article on Scrum methodology and added one Amazon book suggestion at the end. It was snipped. Why?

1. theraggededge profile image99
      theraggededgeposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Did you discuss the relevance of the book in the text? Have you read the book? If you just added it on in the hope of sales, HP will snip it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image97
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 months ago

First, never add a book at the END of the Hub. It's a waste of time - an ad at the end of a Hub rarely makes a sale. 

Secondly, do you understand the current rules? I suggest checking out my Hub on the Basic Rules which summarises all of them, including the new Amazon rules.

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Thanks, I will check it out. By the way, congratulation on winning the Hubby award.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image99
      CatherineGiordanoposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I usually put my amazon link at the end of my discussion of the topic unless I have a good reason to insert sooner. I'm usually just doing books because of the type of hubs I write. I feel the reader might want to know everything I have to say about a topic, before I send her off to get more information from a book.  I know the reader might never finish the article, but I figure if she not interested enough to get to the end of a 2000 word essay, she's probably not interested enough to buy the book. Why do you think it is not a good idea to put the amazon capsule at the end?

1. Marisa Wright profile image97
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 months agoin reply to this

It's just the experience of myself and many other Hubbers.  Links and capsules make better sales when you include them earlier in the Hub.  They're also more likely to be accepted if you place them at a point in the Hub where you can relate the book to something you say in the text.

I see your argument about putting it at the end, but it can be seen another way:  if a reader is so interested in the subject that they'd like a book on the topic, then all you need do is write enough to show you know your subject, then give a personal recommendation for a book.  Some readers will be so keen, they'll go straight to Amazon - others will read to the end and come back to the Amazon ad.

By the way, re the other thread - when you recommend a book, it is absolutely crucial to use "I", or "my" in your recommendation, so it's clear that it's personal.

working