Affiliate and Promotional Links Standards

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. David Stone profile image73
    David Stoneposted 13 years ago

It seems strange the rule for affiliate links is the same for every hub. For example, I have a hub with over 2,200 words, plenty of links to other hubs, and after getting a warning going over it numerous times, I finally gave up, stopped wasting my time and deleted the single affiliate link I could find.

First, this sort of thing makes HP increasingly less attractive because of the hassles not found other places, and I will honestly tell you that HP is no longer my first (or second) choice for this reason alone. The automated, schoolmarmish, demanding threats is taking the fun out of writing.

But let's look at this a different reason. If it's okay for a writer with only 400 hundred words in their hub to have two Amazon links, why is it still the same limit for 2,200 words. This is illogical and discourages longer, more detailed hubs. If the hub is about NYC, for instance, after that much writing, I can think of a half-dozen Amazon books and records that make since for fleshing out the subject, old movies, Sinatra records, guidebooks, maybe some photos. As it stands now, longer, more developed hubs are essentially penalized, and this encourages simple, nonliterary commercial hubs with no other intention than to post affiliate links. Only blurb writers will make money. Is this a wise policy to enforce so strictly and, I should add, rudely and, apparently from the other messages I see, arbitrarily? I didn't even get my rude notice for nearly six months, and it blocked me from updating. Why update when you may be pulled down without appeal?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you bother to contact admin for further explanation or a manual review?  You absolutely have the right to "an appeal" but not if you don't ask for one...

David Stoneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know nothing about a review process, and since I've been all around this site for a month, if there is one, it isn't evident.

Nevertheless, I'm not at all interested in appealing one by one. It isn't necessary other places with all the same benefits and more, so why make the extra effort here?

If the rules are relaxed, I'm interested. If they're not, I'm less so.

I have had a back and forth with them and came away with the impression that understaffing was a major issue, not an impression I consistently get elsewhere. Without making an issue of that site against this one, the two sites I now use first are responsive, generous and more eager to help than enforce across the board rules.

I write a lot and publish a lot. The publishing site should not be the most frustrating or irritating issue. For the record, if you don't publish elsewhere, I suggest you try it and sample the response for comparison.

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For a guy whose profile says he's been here for a year, if you can't be bothered to read the FAQ, then maybe it would be better if you published someplace where you are more content.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#what_is_allowed

1. SuziGravenstuk profile image60
            SuziGravenstukposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your comment seemed unduly rude.

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can add as many products as you like within amazon and ebay capsules (well I think you can add a maximum of 8 to one capsule but you can put as many capsules as you want to). The two outgoing affiliate links rule doesn't apply to the capsules.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

David, I'm sorry you're having trouble.  Personally, I don't find the limits onerous.  After all, the two link limit is PER DOMAIN - so you can have links to 150 different websites if you liked, so long as there's no more than two links to each one. 

As for Amazon - if you're using the Amazon capsules, there's no limit to how many capsules you can have, so you can have unlimited links to Amazon. Same with eBay capsules.

The two-link limit is to deter spammers. Besides, HubPages makes its income by sharing the income on our affiliate links to Adsense, Amazon and eBay - so it's not in their interests to allow heaps of other affiliate links which will steal clicks  from those. 

The reason you've only recently got the warnings is that HubPages is constantly improving its automated filters, so Hubs that previously escaped notice get picked up.

I know it's annoying to get a notice from a faceless, automated service - but think about this.  If HubPages relied absolutely on human moderators, it would need a much bigger staff.  More staff cost more, so our share of HubPages income would be that much smaller.  Isn't a bit more income worth trading for a little inconvenience?

You shouldn't have to "appeal" each of your flagged Hubs one by one - you should just be able to send HubPages an email and ask them to explain the lot.  If they haven't responded correctly, I'm disappointed - and I'd encourage you to try again.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

While not always successful, these rules make is harder for spammers to take over the site with their crap articles.

David Stoneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Other sites do that with vastly more relaxed policies.

And, relache, since you are so self-righteous about it, you might want to go back and read the point that going to other resources is exactly what I've done. And if playing kissy kissy with management is what gets you a 97, I'll stick with my 91-92. I already know what's allowed. The point of the request was to request a more relaxed and logical standard. Read before you write. It helps.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)