jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

I'd like feedback on my article: Exploration and Improvisation: Ways to Nurture.

1. FabMovingMama profile image76
    FabMovingMamaposted 11 days ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article Exploration and Improvisation: Ways to Nurture the Creative Child (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 11 days agoin reply to this

Hi Mama,

My suggestions smile

Replace the first instance of 'kids' with 'children'. It's more professional. I'd recommend not using 'kids' at all. Children and child is much nicer and will look better in an article like yours, where you are giving professional guidance.

Also, get rid of slang, like 'yeah'. It's just ugly.

"On the photo is an artwork she made with pieces found around the house." Who is 'she'? You need to replace it with 'my daughter'. Better still, 'my then five-year old daughter'.

Be consistent with your sub-headings. If using title case on one, then use it on all.

The title could be shortened - is any one searching for it in full? Doubtful. So, "How to Nurture Creativity in Children" might be better because it answers a likely question. Online titles need to be descriptive and search-friendly.

Photos need to be full width now as the facility to right-align is being discontinued. Check how the hub looks in mobile preview. This means that they have to be high quality or they will look horrible.

As Pen mentions, it's way too short. I was surprised when it ended so suddenly. You should be aiming for a minimum of 1,000 words on a topic like this. Explore more ways of nurturing creativity - I home-schooled and these are the kinds of things we did:

I let them paint on our large patio windows - we'd change the theme every season.
      I made 'slime' out of cornstarch and water and let them experiment with it - outside, of course.
      'Cook' with Playdoh.
      Let them create their own pizzas by providing the base and a selection of toppings.
      Collect items from walks to use in artwork.
      Encourage playing with creative toys like Lego, K'nex.
      Invent games like playing shopping.
      Allow them to create landscapes out of pillows and throws and build fantasy worlds with Lego, train tracks, etc.
      Photograph their 'work', as you obviously do.
      Let them give me a make-over.
      Create projects with lap books - fab things to make.
      Let them do 'cutting out' and collaging with a glue stick.
      Provide lots of drawing materials.

There are tons more but it would go on forever. I'm sure you get the idea. You should be able to find good photos at places like Pixabay.

Hope that helps.

FabMovingMamaposted 10 days agoin reply to this

Thanks for being very specific....I love the way you elaborated on where I'm missing out smile
        Oh how wrongly I have been coached about keepin it short wink
        I will rework on this...
        Thanks for putting heads up on making it more professional in tone too
        Gratis!!!

2. pen promulgates profile image79
    pen promulgatesposted 11 days ago

Hey Christine,
    It's a lovely article.
    The content is a little short though, and it ends in a haste. I believe if you elaborate on the content more, especially the last two paragraphs, the article will become more engaging and systematic.

The title can be reworked. The currently one is a little difficult to understand and search. 'Ways to nurture creativity in a child.' is the one I can think of.

Your images are good too. I believe, you have personally taken them. I say this as per the citation of sources by you. (just confirming about the legal to use condition).

Again, it's an awesome article. I wanted to read more but the current length smile

Good luck.

FabMovingMamaposted 10 days agoin reply to this

Thanks for that thought smile
      I will try to expand more. I was told I should try making only 300 words and any more is too much tongue
      So that is myth smile  smile  smile
      Happy to have that cleared out.
      I will rework the title and last paragraph

working