"Broken Links" not Broken?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

Two of my articles on PetHelpful are showing as having broken links. In the first instance, when I look at the article, the link is a picture. This link http://www.sxc.hu/photo/679862 is showing as broken but is in fact clearly showing as a black cat drinking so I think this may be a 'glitch'?

In the second article, this external 'further reading' reference link http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm … mp;aid=609 is showing as broken, but works perfectly.

I don't know how to get rid of the 'broken link' notification.

Thank you, Alison

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I've had this problem on one of my articles for years, the link they say is broken never was broken. I brought it to their attention probably a couple years ago, it's still showing as a broken link. It hasn't affected anything so I let it go, but would love to not see that little symbol next to that article.

And, yes, I've edited the article, etc. Doesn't change anything.

2. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

This happens sometimes because HubPages checks every so often. It is possible that the server of that other site was down just at the moment when HubPages tried to access the link. Therefore the “broken link” status is turned on.

You can turn it off by editing your hub. Remove the link and then place it back in. You can easily do that by copying the link, clicking the unlink icon, then clicking the link icon and pasting the saved link back in. That will definitely correct the erroneous status.

Alison Grahamposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glenn - I will do that for the external link - what would I do in the case of the photo previously uploaded to HubPages (black cat picture)?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sxc.hu was changed to freeimages.com some time ago. I have to change a lot of my photo urls now.

Alison Grahamposted 6 years agoin reply to this

thank you Patty

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's been a while, but can't you just retest the broken link?  When it comes up good this time the indicator should turn off.

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes retesting works. But I found that sometimes it doesn’t. Then I had to do what I mentioned above, and that always worked.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
      DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

@Glen; I've tried that--editing the hub--also removing and re-setting the link, and it has never worked for me.

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago

I too have a broken link warning on one of my fiction tales and there's no such broken link to be found. Hopefully a glitch HP will correct.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

I have experienced this issue more times than I care to recall!  It is, indeed, very frustrating.

I believe there is (at least, there used to be) an icon to click "Ignore," in the section under 'broken links' on your account page.  (Not in the hub; just on the 'broken links' tab in the 'my account' section.) 

Yes, I just checked; you can still click "ignore," if you have checked, and the link is good.  In fact, I had just such a bogus warning just now when I checked.  The retest button came back with 'link bad,' but when I clicked on it, it worked just fine.  I did what I've done before, and what has been suggested here; delete the link, then put it back.
    Gee--it still came up as bad, but on every test I did, it works fine.  So, I hit the 'ignore' button! 
    Raspberry to HP for these issues!

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

Update:  I wonder if this happens if HP doesn't "like" the link?
      I noticed that the particular link was at least semi-commercial in nature, even though it was educational, the sponsor is an online merchant of pet products.
      I decided to test this theory, and set the link to 'no follow' due to being 'affiliate; paid, etc.' and POOF!  Away went the broken link warning!

That might be the case part of the time, but in my case the link goes to an academic journal. So it seems there's some kind of glitch.

Actually, the site I link to is part of the Department of Health and Human Services of the US government, a specific agency under the department that does biomedical research. This is why the broken link thing has always been kind of funny to me; the link is functional and it goes to a non-commercial, very reputable site.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........  roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)