Site Update -- Broken Link Report

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (51 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

We just made a small update to the site.  The biggest change is the addition of the broken link report.  It will show you broken links in your text and link capsules.

We'll be trying to test all links about once a week, and re-test broken links every 24 hours or so.  A link could be broken when we test it but then back up and working later, so you shouldn't rely only on our testing; consider it advisory, and be sure to retest the link yourself.

As usual, let us know if you see anything unusual (with the link report, or elsewhere).

Thanks!

2. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Cheers for this, this is some good stuff to know, so we can fix those broken links!!

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks Paul, it's a nice feature smile

4. profile image0
    cvaughn570posted 15 years ago

I really like this feature as I had a couple of broken links that I did not know about.
    Thanks Paul!

5. Dottie1 profile image60
    Dottie1posted 15 years ago

Wouldn't have known about the broken link. Thanks Paul.  I really like this new feature.

6. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 15 years ago

It's showing Hubpage URL trackers as broken links.

1. larryfreeman profile image79
      larryfreemanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Darkside,

Thanks very much for reporting this.  I am the engineer who wrote the Broken Links feature.

I checked it out and you are correct, the broken link checker is not working correctly with  hubpage urls that have anchors (the '#' sign as part of the url)

I should have the fix out soon.

Cheers,

-Larry

1. darkside profile image64
        darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Larry, you rock.

7. darkside profile image64

And also other anchor links, eg: http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/e5.htm#empe

EDIT: Just saw your post.

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Extremely cool feature, guys!

9. SunSeven profile image62
    SunSevenposted 15 years ago

This new feature can help me a lot smile
    Thank you hub team

Edit: Does it also show the non-functioning video(capsules) links too? It will be great to have this included

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not yet, but that is in the works.

2. weblog profile image59
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nice Feature.

Yes, it will be great if done smile

3. larryfreeman profile image79

We do not yet check non-functioning video(capsule) links.  We are planning to add that feature soon.

-Larry

1. Dottie1 profile image60
        Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

That would be a great addition.  Many videos links on hubs I've wanted to view were broken.

10. SunSeven profile image62

Thanks Paul. smile

11. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Way cool tool.  Had a couple of bad links where I least expected them.  Many thanks, team!

12. profile image57
    Custodian Joeposted 15 years ago

Hi Paul.  Please forgive me, all of this is very new to me. What is a broken link and is this a problem I have on my hub page? How do I find it and how do I fix it.  I started writing about three years ago and a friend told me about hub pages and suggested I post some of my work. That's about where I am now. Do I understand the rest of this? No!  Am I a quick study? Again I'm sorry,   Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1. DJ Funktual profile image77
      DJ Funktualposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Is anyone goinna answer this guy?

1. Dottie1 profile image60
        Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Custodian Joe, Go to your account page and on the right hand side scroll down to "Broken Links" and click on.  It will bring you to the Broken Links Report.  If it says "no bad links found at this time" you have nothing to worry about.  If you do have a broken link that will show up on this report and you would click on and fix the link or replace it with another which was the case for me since the original link was no longer active.  Hope this helps.

1. terenceyap07 profile image61
          terenceyap07posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice, Dottie.

*smiles*

2. topstuff profile image60
        topstuffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And what you did.

13. spuds profile image59
    spudsposted 15 years ago

Nice development.

14. funride profile image67
    funrideposted 15 years ago

Great feature! I already fixed some broken links on my older hubs, thanks wink.

15. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Sweet!! I love it and have fixed about half a dozen broken links!!

Thanks HPs:)

16. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

Very nice feature!  Thank you, HP and Larry.

17. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 15 years ago

Thanks, very useful feature.  I've already fixed a couple of broken links, that I might have never known about otherwise!

18. darkside profile image64

I just want to say again, this is a FANTASTIC feature. It's picking up on a few of my own mistakes but also dead links at other sites.

19. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

My
    Broken Links Report says
    No bad links found at this time.

20. shawna.wilson profile image62
    shawna.wilsonposted 15 years ago

This is great.  It would be hard to keep up on all my links without this feature.  Thanks!

21. SunSeven profile image62

I find it not so perfect at this time. Sometimes the warning message is displayed even when there are no broken links in the hubs.

Hi SunSeven,

Thanks for letting me know.  Since this is the first version of the tool, it is not perfect.  If you let me know which url links are incorrectly getting the warnnings, I'll take a look and investigate.

Cheers,

-Larry

22. guidebaba profile image56
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Same comment as SunSeven. @roll#

Hi Guidebaba,

Thanks very much for letting me know.  If you tell which urls are being incorrectly reported as broken links, I'll take a look to see what's up.

Cheers,

-Larry

23. DarleneMarie profile image61
    DarleneMarieposted 15 years ago

I am a newbie to HubPages; however, I do see where this would be a godsend and time saver for people that have quite a few Hubs.

Thanks in advance for my future here at HubPages smile

24. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

Thank you, HubPages, for another great feature. I had three broken links that I've now fixed. Personally, I hate to disappoint people who come to my hubs only to find something amiss. I know it bothers me when a link doesn't work, so I'm pleased to be assured that mine are in proper working order. I worry about my videos working, but it is very time consuming to check through hubs to find out whether the they work or not. It'll be another great step forward for HubPages when broken video links are reported. Thanks, again.

25. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

I have a broken link and fixed it three times and here it is again and it still hasn't saved the new site:
    The Importance Of Spaying and Neutering Your Animal Companion
    http://www.alleycat.org/index.html
    Error: 404 Not Found   checked 5 hours ago

I had two broken links and the first one saved and changed the link successfully.  Just this second one didn't save or change the link.  Should I delete the link and re-enter it with the new link?

Hi Lady Guinevere,

It sounds like deleting the link and then re-entering the new link should do the trick.

Please let me know if you continue to have the problem.

-Larry

26. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
    Peter M. Lopezposted 15 years ago

I've been out of the loop for a while, but this feature is great.  Love it.  Great work.

27. SunSeven profile image62

Thank you Larry. Now there seems to be a change. It says "A potentially broken link has been detected in this hub. It is highlighted in yellow below. You can correct the link by editing the containing capsule." But there is no highlighted link anywhere!

28. relache profile image72

Larry,

I sent in a bug report about getting reports of broken links that then don't show on the actual hub when you go look too and Maddie got back to me, but the situation keeps happening.  Out of a little over 100 hubs, I see it two to three times a day, most often a different hub each time.  What I keep seeing is this weird "it's broken but then not there" syndrome seems to be related specifically to RSS capsules.  And not only that, the link that's often reported as broken can then not be found on the hub when you go look for it, the RSS feed will actually be showing other links.

And if I hit edit and then just save the hub without actually doing anything, if I go re-run the broken link report, nothing's there.  It's like the hubs are crying wolf for no actual reason.

Hope that helps you track down the bug.

Hi Relache,

Thanks very much for the detailed report.  :-)  I should be able to take a look at the issue later this week.

Cheers,

-Larry

29. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

That helps Relache, I think we know what is going on.   At present we only update the list of links on an article when it is edited, and periodically there after (but not often enough to keep up to date with quickly changing RSS feeds).  We're working on a solution, but it may be a little while.  Essentially, we need to recognize each time an RSS feed updates and recalculate the links for "bad links" purposes ...

30. relache profile image72

Paul & Larry,

Glad the more detailed info was useful.  It took a few days of watching to see a pattern starting to happen.  Of course, now I'm watching to see if the bug doesn't follow that pattern ever.

Thank for chasing this down.  I'm sure it won't be too long before it's fixed.

31. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 15 years ago

It's been a while since you introduced the broken links report.  And I just want to tell you how pleased I am with it.  You've reported three broken links on my Hubs over the last few months, I've corrected each of them, and I'm very happy that I don't have to scout out my own Hubs one by one to test the links.  This is a great feature.  Bravo to you all!

32. William F. Torpey profile image72

Please add my thanks to those of Sally's Trove. Broken links are distressing to me and, more importantly, to anyone who reads my scribbles.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sure?

33. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

I could do with this "broken link" feature at my blogger  blog!

34. William F. Torpey profile image72

Sure.

35. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I noticed the changes and just get tickled with them. It's a nice feeling to have somebody looking out for us, smile thank you!

36. hsofyan profile image61
    hsofyanposted 15 years ago

Thank you Paul. I will give you the info if there is a strange. Also try to do the test themselves. Regards smile

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)