jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Using HubPages to Write Story?

1. Kain 360 profile image97
    Kain 360posted 5 months ago

I know HubPages is not a place to write fiction. But I've been wanting to write a novel or series of short stories for a while now. Is it it okay to use Hubpages to write stories? I was going to use each hub as one chapter or something. I'm not trying to get them published on here of course -- just want to use the editor.

1. kenneth avery profile image83
      kenneth averyposted 5 months agoin reply to this

@Kain360--time for you to click team@hubpages.com
      Look! On your laptop screen! It's a pop-up ad! It's a virus! NO, it's team@hubpges.com

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Hi Kain,

Yes, it is perfectly ok to do creative writing on HubPages, and we even have categories for it. As always, you can take your work down whenever you like if you want to publish somewhere else later. smile

3. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Keep in mind that most publishers do not want work that has been previously published, including being published online

1. Kain 360 profile image97
        Kain 360posted 5 months agoin reply to this

I'm "NOT" trying to get them published on HubPages. I just want to use the capsules to write words & the website as an online storage. I'll later transfer them to my computer most likely.

I don't currently have Microsoft Word cause my computer had issues & it was deleted. I just think it would be easy to organize on here for now.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
          psycheskinnerposted 5 months agoin reply to this

if you are keeping them in unpublished hubs, something like google docs or as a draft in an email account is a more functional and secure option.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image
          Christy Kirwanposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Yes, absolutely this is ok as well. You can create unpublished drafts of any kind of content you like.

2. NessMovieReviews profile image91
    NessMovieReviewsposted 5 months ago

Just do it.
    You don’t need permission.
    No one is going to delete them. Its a cool editing program and compared to other programs specifically for books, its a cheap alternative. I can see the appeal.

Blogger.com is also a pretty eaay to use site if you want alternative.

3. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 months ago

Just be aware that HubPages is a major target for thieves. You'll  probably find your chapters being copied on some Chinese or Russian sites, and there won't be anything you can do about it. That's not a huge issue if you're just publishing on HubPages, but if you ever hope to get it published as a novel, it's a big problem.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you writing the chapters as Hubs, and then  not publishing them.  Or write and publish them on Blogger, where they're unlikely to get stolen.

In my opinion, the best alternative is a critique site like CritiqueCircle.com - then you could also get helpful critiques from other writers on them.  I know it can be tough seeing your work critiqued, but frankly no writer should ever publish before getting feedback from others.

working