jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Pop up ads on niche sites? Really!?

1. Michael Kismet profile image97
    Michael Kismetposted 3 weeks ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13785683_f1024.jpg
    I was reading through one of my own articles and a pop up ad appeared on the screen. I had to find the X and close it before continuing to read the article.  If that weren’t bad enough, not 15 seconds later, it popped up again?! Are we really doing pop up ads now? Not only are they obtrusive, but they’re just plain annoying. I didn’t even want to read through it anymore. I cringe to think this is what visitors are putting up with...

Is this normal, or do I have some sort of malware on my iPad? Any help would be appreciated.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

I have not seen this ever on any of my hubs.  Maybe you do have some malware?

Michael Kismetposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Thanks for responding TT2, I’m actually relieved to hear you say that! I’m glad it is just me and not some new ad implementation. Huge sigh of relief! Now it’s time to troubleshoot Safari on my iPad. Next question—how do I do that, exactly?

1. theraggededge profile image100
          theraggededgeposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

It might not be a browser problem, so you need an app to clean up the device. Go have a look around the iStore or whatever it's called.

Michael Kismetposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

I tend to be dramatic and prone to panic, not the best combination. Thanks for the reply.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100

If you're using Chrome, you might also want to update the version you're using.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100

The first thing I would do is a malware scan.  I would then do an antivirus complete scan.  Turn off the computer when done and then reboot it.  See if that gets rid of the problem.

2. theraggededge profile image100
    theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago

That looks like malware to me too. Get the free version of Malwarebytes, though someone might be able to recommend something better.

Edit: I just noticed you said it is on your iPad. You'll have to get something from the Apple place smile

3. newbizmau profile image93
    newbizmauposted 3 weeks ago

I can't stand being attacked on my own computer. That's what it feels like. Pop-ups are the worst invention, not ever but close. I bought an Apple laptop years ago for that very reason and until now it hasn't been much of a problem. It still isn't as bad as when I try to use a PC of my sisters. I realize how good I have it on my Apple.

4. getmohsinpy profile image69
    getmohsinpyposted 3 weeks ago

Hello Michael, those don't seem to be from HubPage or Adsense. Google will always display their name somewhere below or above their ads. This for sure is a malware or perhaps a chrome extension. Try resetting your browser to default.

5. getmohsinpy profile image69
    getmohsinpyposted 3 weeks ago

Hello Michael, those don't seem to be from HubPage or Adsense. Google will always display its name somewhere below or above its ads. This for sure is a malware or perhaps a chrome extension. Try resetting your browser to default.

working