jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Ad Links in Weird Places...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Ok, here's a new one; at least new to me!

Today, I was replying to a comment on one of my hubs, and something green caught my eye in the previous text block of my replies...upon examination, it was a stupid underlined AD LINK from one of the words in my reply!

And just a few moments ago, while reading a forum post, I saw the same thing..an underlined word that had become a link with a green thing that looked like a circular arrow or something.

Seriously??  Now every word is subject to becoming an ad????  I'm ok with ads placed on the hubs, but to have them inserted into the middles of hubs, or comments, where they might be mistaken for "relevant information" and cause people to stop reading by clicking on these links...well, that's just going a bit too far, IMO.

1. Writer Fox profile image64
      Writer Foxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think your computer is infected with a download displaying text-link ads.  Run a free scan using SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes.

2. brakel2 profile image84
      brakel2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have Malwarebytes on my computer, and it is great. Malware is everywhere these days - mostly weird ads. Good luck. Audrey

2. LongTimeMother profile image96
    LongTimeMotherposted 3 years ago

The problem lies within your computer. I had a similar problem (although my lines were orange, not green). Fixed it thanks to advice from a helpful hubber. Someone will come along and help you, I'm sure.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Thanks, folks.  I do have a good anti-virus program, and it pretty much scans continually while I'm online.
    But, I'll run a manual scan anyway, to check.
    Edit:
    Actually, when I dumped out of all my online windows/tabs, and went to run a scan, it was already in the middle of a scan.  When it finished, it showed no threats detected and no infected files...so it isn't in my computer.

4. brakel2 profile image84
    brakel2posted 3 years ago

Do you have anti spyware as part  of virus program?  It sounds like spyware to me. Do you have a popup blocker? Trying to help.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yeppers--in fact "pop-up blocker" is always "in my face," telling me it blocked a pop-up.  I really don't care...don't have to be told each time...rather it would just do so in the background...
      I have firewall, identity shield, anti-phishing, etc. etc... just checked.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes the antivirus software is running a bit behind the spammers and maybe the program hasn't caught up with this particular nasty bug yet. Or maybe whichever program you use isn't good at finding malware (which is different from a virus).

5. Cardisa profile image93
    Cardisaposted 3 years ago

It could very well be a browser virus or adware. If you downloaded software recently it could be downloaded with the software. Even software on CNET can't be trusted anymore.

Your antivirus program will not pick up browser add-ons and extensions. You would have to disable those in browser itself or uninstall the browser and reinstall.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I've not downloaded any software at all....in well over a year. 
      It just happened in here--in Marisa's reply, the 3rd and 4th words in her answer show up as hyperlinks with that green circle and arrow.
      (Not saying the words, so as not to provide another chance for them!)

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You may not have downloaded software knowingly, but it sounds very much like something that has auto-loaded from a site you've visited. 

These are old articles so it's probably about a different thing, but I'm sure you'll recognise the symptoms:

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-text-enhance/
        http://wafflesatnoon.com/2011/10/05/see … hance-ads/

1. Cardisa profile image93
          Cardisaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Some sites are very sneaky when it comes to adware and malware. Sometimes these aren't harmful but can be annoying. I don't know about your case but you need to get rid of it. Ms Lizzy, try using another browser and see what happens.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Every other time people have reported this issue it has been malware. No malware program is 100% effective so I still suspect this is the issue.

working