jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Changing Gestalt

1. paradigmsearch profile image93
    paradigmsearchposted 4 weeks ago

An inquiry in question. What say you?

1. RoadMonkey profile image83
      RoadMonkeyposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I have never been totally sure what gestalt is. Oh, I have looked it up but it seems to be something different each time or maybe I have no personal experience to hang the explanation onto.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 weeks ago

My only experience with 'gestalt' dates back to the very late 1970s and very early 1980s, when my kids were in elementary school, and the parents' group had some workshops on dealing with the angst that can be brought on by child-rearing.

The school's counselor was friends with the author a pair of books on the subject, one titled Self Therapy, and the other, Gestalt Self Therapy.

Several of us went to a workshop at her home, and got to try a taste of the gestalt, in which you realize that anger is often a mask for other emotions, such as hurt feelings, deep disappointment, or even, (surprisingly) love.  Self therapy, in the first book, is described as being akin to 'peeling the layers of an onion,' to get at what is the underlying emotion or triggering incident causing your outward anger.

The idea behind the gestalt aspect, as it was presented there, was to take out your anger on something that could not cause harm to yourself or anyone else.  In the workshop, we had pillows to punch and beat up, and even a child's plastic baseball bat, if we really wanted to give those pillows a good pummeling.  (It is more complex than just this, but for simplicity's sake, this is the general idea as I understood it.)

It made you feel better, if only because after that exertion, you were too tired to feel much of anything.  LOL  Nowadays, I have a punching bag hanging out in the carport.  I can punch it, or do karate kicks at it.  lol

1. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Holy Mackerel Ms Liz. this is a Hub in itself!

2. RoadMonkey profile image83
      RoadMonkeyposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Sounds good. I think I must be missing out on my exercise classes. They have all gone the way of the world!

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 weeks ago

I'm on a gestalt-free diet.

working