jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Southern California wild fires

1. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 9 days ago

Anybody know what direction the winds are forecast? Are there any good links for info on that? Thanks

1. Dean Traylor profile image94
      Dean Traylorposted 9 days agoin reply to this

Santa Ana will blow from the East to the West. This one is extremely strong and is expected to last throughout the rest of the week. The Devil Winds are showing no mercy in the mountains above downtown LA. (saw that one during morning commute) and Ventura County.

snakeslaneposted 9 days agoin reply to this

Holy...Thanks Dean! You are right there in the midst of it. Stay safe. I hope you can post anything at all as it happens, although I'm sure you have more urgent things to deal with.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 days agoin reply to this

Hearing this just makes me sick.  Those poor people have been through so much already.  I keep wondering when all of these disasters are going to stop!  I used to live in LA and still have a friend or two who lives there.  Breaks my heart.

snakeslaneposted 8 days agoin reply to this

Makes me sick too TT.  Zero percent containment! Help is on the way from Oregon and places North.  Los Angeles Times seems to have most in depth coverage, so far that I could find.

2. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 7 days ago

Scenes unfolding around San Diego are grim.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3904629/cali … san-diego/

3. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 6 days ago

In Los Angeles using drones to help firefighters.

https://www.wired.com/story/drones-take … les-fires/

4. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 3 days ago

Another link for SoCal wildfire update:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/06/fire-map-sou...

5. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 17 hours ago

"Since the blaze broke out on Dec. 4, it has burned more than 372 square miles and destroyed 921 buildings — including at least 700 homes. It threatens 18,000 buildings and has prompted evacuations of about 100,000 people." The Mercury News today Dec 14 2017 Re: the Thomas Fire.

1. Dean Traylor profile image94
      Dean Traylorposted 5 hours agoin reply to this

I'm very far from where the Thomas Fire is (about 40 to 50 miles away); however, every morning when I'm on the  405 heading toward the South Bay, I can see the smoke in the northwestern sky above the ocean and Santa Monica Mountains.
      Last week, there were other fires. The Skirball Fire near Bel-air was the closest to where I work (a little over 10 miles. While not near it did affect the air quality (as the big one is doing, too). My eyes were watery and I had sore throat.
      Santa Ana are picking up again, meaning the Thomas Fire in Ventura and Santa Barbara County will be drastically affected (hopefully it won't hit the Solvang area (However, it did get to the Santa Ynez Mountains near the town).

working