jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

i found a small but scary spider in my home in southern california. Im not sure

1. profile image46
    Denyeillposted 7 years ago

i found a small but scary spider in my home in southern california. Im not sure if poisonous, plz

help....It was brown with thicker legs and was blk at the abdomin. there was a stripe on the abdomin that look similar to an egyption symbol and had a u shape at the end of the abdomin near where the web comes out. it was in my home and i have been trying to find out if it could harm my family but have not been able to find any info. if u could please email me any info that would be great... Hairstylz_DMV@yahoo.com
    thank you

2. profile image0
    BenjaminBposted 7 years ago

Well the deadliest spider,being the black widow has an hourglass looking red spot on it's back. Besides that I wouldn't have a clue.

3. sugz profile image73
    sugzposted 7 years ago

we have whitetails.. they bite but not sure they have them over there. they're known for the white dot on their tails and don't have a web.
    the most poisonous is the daddylonglegs.. but can't penetrate our skin.

try this.. http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

blackwidow:
    Spider Identification - the body of an adult black widow is about 1/2 inch long. The female black widow is normally shiny black, with a red hourglass marking on the underside of the abdomen. The marking may range in color from yellowish orange to red and its shape may range from an hourglass to a dot.

4. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Do a Google image search for the brown recluse spider, or fiddleback. As you can see from the non-spider images that turn up, they are quite poisonous and live in secluded corners of homes throughout North America. That's the only thing I can think of from your description, and it's the only common poisonous spider aside from the black widow in the US. Other than that...maybe a cat face? They're harmless to humans, and excellent for catching household pest bugs.

working