What is the best way to incorporate expert sources and information?

1. Charles Arnold profile image59
    Charles Arnoldposted 8 weeks ago

Hi,

I'm currently exploring topics and information for a series of articles.

I find that it helps to discuss the subjects with experts in my area, and I'd like incorporate their names, qualifications, quotes and etc.

What is the best way to work this type of information into an article? Are their any HubPage rules that discuss how to do this?

Best regards,

Charles Arnold
    St. Petersburg, Florida

1. promisem profile image98
      promisemposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

I'm not aware of any HP rules. A few standard practices in journalism might help.

Use brief, single-paragraph quotes that end with something like, "according to XX, executive director of the YY foundation". Other attribution words include said, noted, explained, etc. A little variation helps.

Factual information can appear without quotes, but it's still a good idea to attribute the source of the facts. It adds credibility to the article. Even though the information is not in quotes, it's best to explain the information as closely as possible to what the source said.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 weeks ago

The best way to indicate sources in an online article is to link to them.  So for instance, if you are interviewing an expert, you would say, "last week I spoke to vet Ernest Dogwrangler about his research into obscure dog breeds", and you would make "Ernest Dogwrangler" a hyperlink to his website.  No need to give any other information (e.g. qualifications) because the reader can find it all on his website.

Similarly if you are quoting from a website, link to the specific page on the website where you found the quote.  So you might say, "As Joe Smith said on his website, The Great Unwashed (hyperlinked), "blah blah blah".   Alternatively, you could give the quote and then follow it with the link to the page, in brackets.  Again, no need for further info because the reader can find it all on the website.

working