What causes major traffic spikes?

1. Shesabutterfly profile image96
    Shesabutterflyposted 5 weeks ago

I've always been interested in how traffic works, but there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to when or why certain articles (those unrelated to major holidays/seasons/ect.) get major spikes. Wondering if people notice the same thing? I have an article that gets pretty consistant traffic, but it's a low amount of traffic.

Today it's almost quadrupled. As far as I know it's not on the first two or three pages of Google, or at least it wasn't the last time I checked, although I'll admit that was almost a year ago. I did do some minor updating (mostly adding sources) and it was moved to the niche sites back at the beginning of November. Could this be the main reason?

It's a religious article, so I know it's not seasonal in nature. It also does not pertain to any holidays, so that would not be a cause either. Are some articles just more prone to major spikes than others based on their content (niche)? I double checked all the traffic sources and they are from Google or other search engines. Nothing from social media, the niche site, or hubpages itself.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 weeks ago

I do sometimes get big spikes in traffic from Google for my product articles. The products I'm writing about are not seasonal in any sort of way I can think of, so I've often been mystified by the spikes in traffic from Google. I'm used to getting Facebook spikes, I know when that happens, and I didn't do anything, it's because someone else liked a thing and shared it in a Facebook group. The Google spikes are as mysterious to me as the minds of women. LOL

3. RonElFran profile image98
    RonElFranposted 5 weeks ago

Most of my large traffic spikes are due to social media surges. Often these happen for no discernible reason. But I've also had spikes due to Google alone. The last couple of these seemed to be because subjects related to those hubs were in the news. For example, my "Queen Victoria’s Black Princess" hub had a surge following the announcement of Prince Harry's engagement to Meghan Markle.

working