Chosing A Good Title

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (65 posts)
  1. profile image48
    badcompany99posted 15 years ago

Ok bit of a problem in picking a good title for one of my hubs. All of my hubs get a read every day except one which has frozen in reads after a few days of its issue so I am thinking could it be the title. I won't name it because I don't want anyone thinking I am looking reads but is there anywhere you can go to type in the subject matter to obtain a good google searchable title, many thanks !

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You seem pretty genuine about getting traffic- your posts are all over the forums- so I will tell you what I really think.

On the one hand you tackle quite serious issues in your hubs and on the other, you play up the comic persona. This may go down well in hubpages but someone looking for serious information and arriving from a search engine will simply be baffled. Would you take advice on issues like phobias, high blood pressure or tranquillizers from a man in a pirate hat?

I think you have a choice- enjoy the social hubbing or get serious about visitors from the world outside. Or create two accounts and do both. Best of luck either way.

1. profile image48
        badcompany99posted 15 years agoin reply to this

In my heart I sort of knew that Will, thanks for your honesty. I think I can only do one and that is get serious about visitors from the world outside. The man in the pirate hat thanks you and bids you farewell. !

1. Florida Keys profile image67
          Florida Keysposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd for one hate to see that happen.  I'd prefer to see you have an alter ego or two like you already have.  Wouldn't do for a wingman to go off all serious and such.

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
          Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you compromise - a serious alter-ego, and let the pirate out to play at the weekends. It would be a shame if you had to be serious all the time smile

1. profile image0
            MangoGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

check with my hub, the answer is there

1. profile image48

I know the answer, always have

1. profile image0

I don't get this, sorry. smile

2. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 15 years ago

Lol BC I have no idea, I just write the first thing that comes in my head I guess

1. profile image48

Jeeez great damn help you were then lol, blinking blondes smile

3. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

Hi guys,
    Long time no see BP - I'm still recovering :-)

BC - have a look at https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

put in your topic, and do a search.
    The actual search terms people use, as well as the number of times that term has been searched, will be shown.

Choose a term with a reasonable number of searches, and use the term in your title, hub name, in a heading, and a couple of times in the hub.

Oh hell, just go to http://theinternetbloke.com/Keywords.pdf and download the pdf file about keywords that  I give to my newsletter subscribers. that'll give you the basics you need to know!

cheers,
    Eric G.

4. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 15 years ago

Now look BC there is a man who knows what he is talking about. How you going ? Long time no see..BC be grateful to me I rustled him up for you,I knew he would answer the questions to those you seek..

1. profile image48

Cheers Eric much appreciated, besides Blonde why are you in the Knowledge Forum, ya holding yer map upside down lol !!

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
        Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah, she's flying through the air at the  moment. That's why her map (of Tassie) is upside down!

5. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

BC, what is it about and I'll give you an awesome title

1. profile image48

Womens Health

Wow. What a competitive keyword phrase.
        No wonder you can't get anywhere in google with that one.
        There's millions of competing sites for pretty much anything to do with that term.

Womens Health Issues is about the only term I could find that would have any chance of being effective.

Maybe Cindy can come up with something.
        Cheers, Eric G.

1. profile image48

I tried that Eric but nothing, you are right though it's damn competitive and I regret picking it. But deff research first now before doing a hub, cheers for checking though.

You'd have to build anchored backlinks to the hub from other sites (ie squidoo, blogger, etc) over a period of several weeks to improve your chances with this one.

1. profile image48

Damn that sounds like work which I am allergic to. But all joking aside I am taking a look at your links later tonight and will be totally revamping all of my hubs instead of writing anymore over the next few weeks. And many thanks for your help in the matter, means a lot that people are really helpful.

You're welcome, but unfortunately there's really nothing left on Hubpages that would help you. I've removed it all, and am using it as content for a book I'm writing.
                (There's a hub about my reasons for removing this material. It's easy to find :-) )

Have a look at Peter Hoggan's series of hubs about SEO for Hunbbers:
                http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Free-SEO-Trai … or-Hubbers

you might want to check out this post I 've just made as well. It's about the value of a click.
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/14749?page=2#post189325

Also, do a search on hub pages for SEO tutorial. There's a few others around.

Cheers,
                Eric G.

1. profile image48

Thanks again, will read both later.

6. profile image0
    Janettaposted 15 years ago

well....I did write a hub about picking titles... LOL
    depends on what its about and what the genre is. Funny, pick a funny title, serious--be sort of more straight forward.
    Me, i tend to head to a clever title first.  One word titles are good too. simple.  I dunno...I would need more info to really help smile

1. profile image48

Its the Womens Health one, have changed it to Womens Health Problems and that actually attracted the 1st read in days. I prefer using a 2 word title, do you have much success with 1 word titles ??

7. cindyvine profile image68

Luckless Ladies
    Diseased and desperate
    Coital Shennanigans
    Curing Colleens

8. cindyvine profile image68

Diseased and distressed downunder

9. profile image0

I have a mix of one word, two word and short sentences. my single word ones do pretty good, they are more to the point (Stress, Bullies) doesn't leave much to the imagination LOL
    My best trafficed hubs are more silly titles.  I like cindy's suggestions LOL

I will have to think about it....a man talking about women's health-- in my opinion you're gonna need something funny. I read it and there's the usual BadCo humor undertones big_smile  Go with funny.

10. cindyvine profile image68

Janetta then I reckon it's got to be either Curing Colleens, or, Diseased and Distressed Downunder

11. profile image0

I happen to be partial to diseased and distressed Down under...sounds like a call in radio show.  Like Sleepless in Seattle! LOL big_smile

12. profile image48

You two are totally Crazy !

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'll take that as a compliment  big_smile  I've been called worse.... LOL

13. R. Blue profile image60
    R. Blueposted 15 years ago

I'd title it "Vaginal Itching...and 20 ways to scratch it"

It may not be what it's about...but it'd get loads of reads...not that I'd know anything about titles....but my "Intercourse" title has done pretty well.....not really sure why....who'd be interested in such a thing???

1. freelanceworld profile image59
      freelanceworldposted 15 years agoin reply to this

just stopped  for a second writing this ..LOL

But BC there not a iota of lie in that statement... you need views... that will do it tongue

14. profile image0
    MangoGirlposted 15 years ago

I think you've made a reasonable decision. Good luck! Maybe someday the captain returns from the dead. smile

Congrats on the 10.000 hub views!

15. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Now that starts to sound interesting. If one assumes that MangoGirl is a new BadCo instance, many pieces of the puzzle start to come together wink

16. cindyvine profile image68

and here I was thinking MangoGirls was you, Misha!

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yikes Is it THAT obvious? yikes

LOL I swear she is not me. smile I do have a sock puppet account, but this is not MangoGirl smile

1. profile image0

Ok. I admit. It's me Misha.

17. profile image0

Misha, you give me way too much credit. smile

1. Misha profile image65

I always give waaaaay too much credit to pretty girls, and always suffer from consequences wink

18. cindyvine profile image68

MangoGirl is definitely not Bad Company, he's an innocent little pirate.  I know who MangoGirl is and all about that sad sad hubber.

1. profile image0

You do know right? Perhaps the stalker you originally thought of was not me after all....

1. profile image48

That is the line that nailed you my friend, at first I thought you were my stalker but you are not, you are however someone elses stalker. Why not just remove the mask now because I know you are not female and I also know who you are !

1. profile image0

Can assure you I am female. smile I know what you and Cindy believe so why not say it? It is silly badco. Say it then.

19. cindyvine profile image68

Don't think so MangoGirl, don't think so...

20. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You got my full attention lol

21. profile image0

Mine too. So accuse me of something or stop it forever.

1. profile image48

Just ignore me ok, just a bit down with my life and have been drinking too much tonight. I like you Mango and it wont happen again, just a lonely drunken pirate at sea with nothing better to do, am ashamed of myself now ( :

1. profile image0

Maybe it was you who said we all have these moments. So just let it pass. You're alright! Your not just a great pirate. You're an intelligent man. I've read your hubs. I've read many hubs in here, so just believe me. Keep your chin up.

1. profile image48

Not that intelligent when I drink though, I think its because I like your style and am probably trying to get your attention. I am a sad old fool.

22. profile image48

Oh perhaps I am silly, sure I am a man after all plus a stupid pirate in a hat that nobody would listen to ; )

1. profile image0

That's not so! What are you talking about? Are you really you?

23. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

BC99 , zero in on the specific disorder you have written about then do a search , that should help you some. hmm

1. profile image48

What are you on about ?

1. Misha profile image65

it took me a while to figure LOL Actually Dame is trying to give you an advice on the original topic of the thread tongue

1. profile image48

Lol I thought she meant my mental disorder, all joking aside I am sorry Mango I just like to come on here and have a laugh, I didnt mean to pick on you, I blame those South Africans, they make a potent red wine.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
            Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Irish (and Scots)sometimes get a little maudlin when they drink - the Celtic temperament smile

Either that or it is the pain of being a Manchester City supporter http://www.bbc.co.uk/606/2/refresh/images/smileys/f_laugh.gif

24. cindyvine profile image68

Well, at least you got something right, BadCo!  Oops, time for my shower and then have to get ready for work.

1. profile image0

some more of that potent cindyvinese teasing smile

1. profile image48

Yeah I think shes a bad influence on me Mango, I feel such a damn fool just as we were getting on ok.

1. profile image0

Now this was some enlightening thought to me. Because Cindy really says things. She says them to me, but as it turns out she's doing something similar to you. btw, why are you drinking?

1. profile image48

I will mail you ok !

25. profile image0

I think it's just late enough, and I'd better go home now. Sleep well. smile

26. cindyvine profile image68

I have never mailed you MangoGirl, so what have I been saying to you.  And by the way, was not teasing, just making a serious statement, have to shower to get ready for work, which I did and am now on my way to catch my bus.

1. profile image0

Never said you mailed me. smile Have a nice day!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)