Not Sticking Around

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've only been active on HubPages for the past week, but I'm trying to learn from my mistakes sooner rather than later. Obviously, my hubs are not getting much organic traffic from Google, but there is some and the results are disturbing.

My Lobster Roll hub in particular is the one I need advice on:  http://hubpages.com/hub/LobsterRolls

This hub has had some traffic that was generated by very relevant and targeted keyphrases:  "warm lobster roll recipe", "how to make hot lobster roll", etc. My hub couldn't be more relevant if it tried. Every single person who google about lobster rolls and got to my hub left as soon as they got there. ZERO time on site.

What should I change or what am I doing wrong?

2. Karen Banes profile image70
    Karen Banesposted 14 years ago

Hi and welcome to hubpages. I just looked at your hub and had to scroll WAY down the page to hit the recipe. I don't pretend to be an expert on how to write the perfect hub but I know as a busy internet surfer (and bad cook) when I google a recipe I want to see a good, easy to follow recipe right in front of me! If I were you I'd edit the hub to a quick introductory paragraph, followed by the recipe, followed by the other material you want to include. Just a suggestion. It takes some experimenting on here to hit the right formula. Happy hubbing!

3. brad4l profile image71
    brad4lposted 14 years ago

Personally, I think that the hub looks great and is very informative and it is important to remember that most of the time you will have a pretty high bounce rate, this is normal.

It could be, however, that when people are searching for "warm lobster roll recipe" and come across your hub, they do not scroll down and look for the recipe. Instead, since the first thing they see is the text, they simply move on.

This is purely a guess and is only really based on how I search for recipes on Google, but you could try to make a hub or two with the recipie on the top of the page and some history below it. Then compare the bounce rate with the recipie on top and the recipie on the bottom.

Edit: Personally, instead of editing your existing hub, like Karen suggested, I would make a new hub(s), but include the recipie on the top, so you had a basis for comparison...

4. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

On the other hand - how are your adsense earnings? Are they clicking on ads instead, because that hub is perfectly laid out so that all they see when they arrive is a photo of a lobster, a small amount of text and a lot of google ads.

Do you want to be read, or make money is the question. It is a really good hub at the moment, but I would be tempted to switch the story with the recipe if you want them to stay longer and move the lobster photo down.

5. lrohner profile image69

Good point as usual, Mark. I guess my answer would be that I would actually like both readers and clicks. However, I just checked my Adsense account, and I have had only one click this week ($.16 -- woo hoo!).

Another problem is that AdSense is only showing that I've had 6 page impressions over the last week, while Analytics is showing 186 impressions during that same time. I set HubPages up as a URL channel on AdSense (hubpages.com/profile/lrohner). Was that wrong?

I like your suggestions. I do think the lobster picture is too big and too overwhelming. And the story, while true, is probably only interesting to me. The intent was to try to convey that New Englanders do actually debate this topic. NY and CT are in the warm with butter camp, while Maine and RI do the chilled mayo thing (blech!).

Since I'm the only one who's voted on the poll, I'm pretty sure no one is even getting that far. I've gone ahead and reordered things and cut the story back. Can I get your opinion? I'm used to leading with the story and closing with the recipe, but I'll defer to your experience on this one.

http://hubpages.com/hub/LobsterRolls

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That looks more tempting to a reader looking for a recipe. And I hate to break it to you - but recipes do not generate many clicks. sad

Much as I enjoy writing them, I have pretty much stopped doing so and moved to more high paying subjects. I do the occasional one, but if you think about it - a really good recipe - as yours seems to be - gives the reader exactly what they came for, so they are unlikely to click an ad. At one point, I was tempted to delete half the content of my recipe hubs. The half with the recipe. lol The other thing I would suggest is to cut down on the "back story" a little.

lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mark. I actually have had pretty good AdSense success on my three foodie blogs. But I still will take your advice to heart and will turn to other topics.  Thanks again!

2. Silver Rose profile image67
      Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes. Set an Adsense channel for each Hub URL - that way you can see which Hub is making the profit. If you've set the channel for your profile, the channel will <i>only</i> report impressions for visits to the profile and not to the Hubs.

Finally, on the hubs themselves, your adsense ID is displayed 60% of the time, and the other 40% of the time, Hubpages displays their own ads. Your Adsense account will only count impressions when your own ads are shown.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You are doing quite well making a small Adsense profit in your first week - it usually takes a few months for the hubs to get established enough to bring in traffic and profit

Thanks Silver. But I'm still confused. If I've had 186 page impressions on my hubs and Adsense is only reporting 6, does that mean that my ads were only served up 3% of the time???

1. Silver Rose profile image67
          Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Remember that you have ten hubs plus a profile page. But you set your adsense channels to ONLY look at your profile page.

You need to go into your adsense and set up a separate channel for EACH hub url (ignore the profile page). From the time you set it up, you should start to see impressions per hub when you call up the channel report. You won't see any detail from before you set up the URL channels (but any earnings will get swept up by Adsense anyway, so you won't lose them).

Thanks Silver. Done.

6. lrohner profile image69

Good Lord, I forgot Karen and Brad!  Thank you very much for your advice. I did move the video for the warm lobster roll up top and put the Maine Lobster Roll recipe directly below it. I will go in eventually and put a written recipe for the Warm Lobster Roll. I originally didn't put in a written recipe because it would basically be one line -- cook some lobster (steam, grill, boil, whatever), stuff it in a hotdog roll, drizzle with melted butter. Serve with lemon.

Thanks for all of the input!

7. Anonymous profile image61
    Anonymousposted 14 years ago

Put your recipe first. Put other text later. Make any visuals smaller and compress them. There are free sites that will compress your graphics for you. Compressed graphics make the site load faster.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)