jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do you put 101 behind a "How To" hub?

1. LeonJane profile image88
    LeonJaneposted 8 years ago

Why do you put 101 behind a "How To" hub?

For example, Candle Making 101 (describes how to make candles) why not just call the hub Candle Making? or How to change your motor oil 101? Where did 101 originate from? Why 101 even if you don't list 101 ideas in your informative hub? Is 101 used too much? has it lost its impact?

2. Dzierba profile image69
    Dzierbaposted 8 years ago

College classes are often titled like this and putting it after something like candle making makes it seem more educational.

3. pippap profile image86
    pippapposted 8 years ago

Dzierba has a good point about it making the article sound more educational.  The term 101 also refers to the place of the course in the educational format of that subject.  101 would be the first course in that string of courses; or, to put it another way - the beginners' course.

4. Lisa HW profile image74
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I do think it is kind of over-used (I've used it once myself some time ago, by the way).  I don't really think there's any "impact" involved though.  Writers often use it in an attempt to use a little mild humor.

Because it is the way course descriptions are done, I guess it's just kind of ingrained in people whenever they're thinking in terms of sharing information/teach someone something. 

Besides the mild humor aspect of it, writers know that whenever someone sees "101" he'll know, exactly, that the material attempts to teach something.

5. JohnBarret profile image60
    JohnBarretposted 7 years ago

100 - This is beginning
    101 - This is one step+ for beginners
              It means "u r starting and v r taking u further one step."