jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can I publish a story that my mother wrote on one of my hubpages if I credit her

1. nadp profile image76
    nadpposted 8 years ago

Can I publish a story that my mother wrote on one of my hubpages if I credit her as the...

author?
    She showed me this short story that she wrote years ago when she was taking a creative writing course.  She is now 90.  I told her that there are places to publish such work online and she asked if I would do this for her.

2. camlo profile image89
    camloposted 8 years ago

Hi! Good to see you again! I have two ideas. I'm always having ideas ...
    You could open a HubPages Account in her name, and publish her story, or
    You could do exactly as you've already thought of doing. You just need to open with words like, 'This is a story written by my mother, who has asked me to publish it here on HubPages.'
    But since it's not published elsewhere, you could probably do whatever you like with it, technically speaking, especially since she wants you to do something with it.
    But I'm not an expert on such matters ...

3. profile image0
    loriamooreposted 8 years ago

That is so sweet.  Yes, as long as you have her permission to publish her work and you give her credit for it in your Hub, there is no problem.

I look forward to reading it.

4. blake4d profile image58
    blake4dposted 8 years ago

Yes, with her permission and credit given to her. Good idea.

5. subkie profile image61
    subkieposted 8 years ago

I believe there's nothing stopping you from doing that. It's between you and your mum. Hey.. it's like MJ's family releasing MJ's unreleased songs.

6. valeriebelew profile image70
    valeriebelewposted 8 years ago

Legally, you can quote anyone, as long as you give them credit for the writing.  There would be a problem if you are attempting to make money from somebody else's work, but in the case of your mom, unless she has a problem with it, I don't see how there could be an issue.

7. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 7 years ago

I agree with others. I think publish with credit to her with her permission should be okay. You may want to double check hubpages TOS to be sure. My mom writes too, so this is an special interest to me as well.

8. xboxps3wow profile image42
    xboxps3wowposted 7 years ago

yes, why woulndn't you be able to do this?

working