Question on Revenue or lack thereof....

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (20 posts)
  1. jennifer maurer profile image70
    jennifer maurerposted 14 years ago

I just wrote a Hub last week entitled "Adam Lambert Sexed for Success". It did quite well, in fact it receive over 1700 views in less than a week. (that's good for me, anyway). My overall ranking on hubpages as of this morning was 96. The article was ranked anywhere from 87 - 93 and the views were from several different outside search locations (about 15 different sites). Very few were from hubpages. Pretty decent (though not great) ad content on page. So why did I only earn $3.07 off the Google ads and Amazon? What am I doing wrong? Any seasoned, revenue generating hubbers have some advise or comments for me on this?

2. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

Entertainment based hubs don't tend to generate that much affiliate income. I actually don't think $3 is that bad for one entertainment hub that was just published a week prior. I consider it more of a success.

If you are looking to earn more money on a hub, choose topics that are geared towards people looking for products, or tips on how to use products.

3. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

1700 views in a week is great. Making $3.07 in one week from an entertainment hub is pretty good, too.

The amount that you earn simply depends on the topic and keywords of your content. If you would've written an article on mesothelioma class actions and received 1,700 views in a week, you probably would've made several hundred dollars. However, the chances of anyone having a high-ranking mesothelioma site on google these days is slim, to none because of all the competition!

Entertainment hubs usually get lots of traffic when they're first published, but they earn limited earnings. I think you did quite well for the topic. Unfortunately, your earnings will probably continue to dwindle on that topic. The two reasons with entertainment hubs earning so little is a.) they are usually only relevant for a certain period of time, i.e. a celeb divorce or death. b.) advertisers don't pay very much for entertainment ads.

If you want to earn lots of money per each hub, you'll have to do keyword research (there are tons of hubs on here about it) to find topics to write about that have limited competition in search engines but yet high paying advertisements.

good luck! again, 1,700 views for a new hub is great!

4. jennifer maurer profile image70

Thank you both for the response. The entertainment area is my favorite to write about, so that's a bit discouraging...good information though. It seems to be a popular search, so I'm surprised that advertisers don't pay more for them....

Another question I had was this....Is it ok to post a link to my hubpages articles on my blog? I am set up with google adsense on my blog as well and would love to move traffic back here to hubpages...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I'm late, Jennifer. It's not a question of the advertisers not paying enough - it's the fact that people who come to a Hub about a celebrity aren't looking to buy anything, except maybe a poster or photo of the celebrity. 

If your goal is to make money, you need to write Hubs about questions people want answered. Then, it's likely the ads will offer solutions to the question and people will click on them and buy. 

Yes, it's fine.  Post two or three lines of the Hub on your blog - enough to get the reader's interest - then have a "read more about..." link which will take them to the HubPages article.  You could also add your HubPages widget to your sidebar - you'll find it in your profile.

5. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I wish the entertainment area paid more and had longevity, too. smile Definitely a fun area!!!

I think advertisers don't pay as much because they realize there is so much traffic on those topics. Plus, a lot of entertainment sites are blogs or photo galleries and those sites advertise simply to try to get traffic to their own site in the hopes of earning money from advertising.

It's definitely ok to link to your hubpage articles on your blog. I used to do this (I actually just remembered my blog lol) and I did get some traffic that way. I think the link to it is in my profile. Basically, I wrote a small excerpt and then linked to the article.

You can put your hubpage links anywhere, you'd like! It's actually a great idea to put them on your blog and other sites.

Good luck!

6. jennifer maurer profile image70

Holy cow, girlie_girl...I just realized how many hubs you've written in just two months!!!! Wow - you go girl! That's impressive.

Thanks for the comments, advise and encouragement.

7. Singular Investor profile image70
    Singular Investorposted 14 years ago

The ads. that I saw on your hub seem to be mostly to do with dating. As an experiment if I were you I would work the word 'tickets' into your post a couple of times to see if any 'tickets' ads turn up, which people might be tempted to click on. Also I would remove the Amazon capsule and concentrate on Adsense.

8. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

1) Entertainment topics are traditionally high traffic and very low ad revenue.

2) Over 1700 views in less a week still qualifies as fairly low traffic for an entertainment topic.  From my experience, you need close to 10,000 views on one of those hubs per day to make them really good earners.

9. jennifer maurer profile image70

Thanks Singular...very good tips. I think Google was confused as to what ads to put for Adam Lambert - but you'd think they'd go with American Idol tickets or something...I will try your suggestions. Why would I receive a 97 on the hubscore when it's clearly not a revenue generator? Go figure.

1. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The Hubscore doesn't relate at all to the earnings. big_smile It also has no effect on your google ranking. It's a HubPages only thing.

97 is really great, though! big_smile

10. jennifer maurer profile image70

relache - thanks for your reply. 10,000 view a day? Holy cow! I don't see that in my immediate future. Not till I can figure out how to generate more traffic (which I am working on diligently as we speak). You are right about the entertainment hubs generating good traffic but low revenue. That's been my experience so far though not sure why...I'm going to have to come up with a way to change that, since it's my favorite topic and I do intend to make some money at this eventually. Thanks for your input.

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure that you're getting "Older women younger men dating ads" because you describe yourself as a couger. Probably combining it with the Adam Lambert Sexed for Success title, is adding to why some of the ads I saw are there. The gay dating site ads were there for the same reason - the references to gay men. And I saw some senior dating ads and face-lift ads. Cougar is a very in demographic now, and I'm sure that word caught adsense's interst.

When you're trying for adsense revenue, it's more than just having a single keyword or several keyword phrases. You have to make sure that the supporting copy keeps adsense focused and not giving spurious ads. When you see these kinds of things, you have to look at the ads and the copy and try to understand it. Then rewrite to get the kinds of ads your looking for.

I've never attempted to monetize an entertainment blog (I didn't know who Adam Lambert was until I read your hub), so I'm not sure what kinds of ads you want on your hub.

You've got a high hubscore because it's a well written hub and you have lots on comments. That doesn't necesarily mean that it will monetize well.

12. getpaidtopost profile image38
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

I did a post about this a few weeks back, It seems people just don't click ads anymore, well not the same as they did in the past. All my adsense earnings have gone down from all my 11 sites. Seems people just stopped clicking the ads, content the same and more visitors than ever should equal a better click through rate, sadly its goes down and down.

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Or another thought, just write another 100 entertainment hubs, and the revenue would be pretty decent, each month I bet.

Oh and Amazon only has a 1 session cookie. So if you drive traffic to Amazon. The traffic browses, goes to another website, and then returns to Amazon. You don't get credit for the sale. Very hard program to monetize.

Some people believe it's a 24 hour cookie, but that's only if the product is in the shopping cart, when the get there the first time.

14. jennifer maurer profile image70

Thanks, all. One day I'll get all this down. I think I'm just going to keep on writing, see what happens, and let the google chips fall where they may. I'll pay attention more to the keywords and how they relate to the ads though. I'm also trying to figure out ways to circulate my hubs on different sites for more exposure.

You've all been very helpful, as usual.

15. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

I just have to add that I am going to the AI concert in August.  Can't wait to see Adam! wink (and Kris and others, too, of course).

16. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I am a big Adam Lambert fan myself. Going to check out your hub now.

17. jennifer maurer profile image70

great lakeerieartists..hope you enjoy it! Have a great time at the concert 21...haven't gotten around to getting tickets yet...

18. Maverick_999 profile image40
    Maverick_999posted 14 years ago

1700 visit in a week and 3 $ too, gr8
    i my self published three hubs related to entertainment section, one on adam lambert too and got same amounts of hits but not even a signle dollar sad
    so in future i will keep in mind things been told here and gonna keep my hands of entertainment thingy (if i can big_smile)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)