Is including a video covered by fair use laws or are they legally not part of my

1. simeonvisser profile image85
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Is including a video covered by fair use laws or are they legally not part of my content?

For text I can understand it because I have written the content myself. For pictures I can understand that I can use a photo from public domain, taken by myself or covered by an appropriate license. But for videos from YouTube that I have not made myself, can I use them without copyright problems in my hubs? On the English Wikipedia some of the content can be included because of U.S. fair use laws because the servers are based in the U.S. but how does it work on HubPages?

2. minso profile image74
    minsoposted 7 years ago

You can use YouTube videos without any problem as long as there are kept in their original form. YouTube and similar sites provide videos for sharing purpose, and you need to use the same code given by You Tube for the purpose of sharing.

Regarding wikipedia, you can freely use most of the material as long as you are including the source name along with material as per their rules. You can read the license requirements along with the images in wikipedia. Some authors mention that you need to include the url of the source as well.

In both cases there is no copyright issue when license rules are followed and the original copyright still stays with the respective owners.

3. Debby Bruck profile image74
    Debby Bruckposted 7 years ago

Dear simeonvisser. If I am not mistaken, when a person uploads a video to YouTube they have a number of privacy options for their account and channel to select including:
    ~ Allow only friends to send messages or share videos
    ~ Let others find my channel on YouTube if they have my email address

Therefore, once a person who uploads a film allows others to access it, that means you can share and post on your hubpages article.

working