jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is HubPages too addictive?

1. Lady Wordsmith profile image81
    Lady Wordsmithposted 7 years ago

Is HubPages too addictive?

And if so, what measures do you take to moderate your usage?

2. melbel profile image97
    melbelposted 7 years ago

HubPages is very addictive to me, but I think it depends on what it does for YOU? Does it bring you entertainment? Income? Knowledge? As long as the benefits outweigh any negative effects that HubPages may have: neck strain, carpal tunnel syndrome, starvation (because you don't get up from your desk) then I don't see anything wrong with it!

3. DTLangers profile image60
    DTLangersposted 7 years ago

I agree with Melbel. If you're a casual user answering questions and doing a few hubs, I guess it wouldn't be so addictive - more like something you always intend to give more focus. If it's something you're passionate about, however, such as installments of a book (like mine are), short stories or articles about your love (such as gardening or food) then I think it becomes incredibly addictive, even more so if your articles become popular.

I think this is also the key element - popularity. People who regularly receive positive feedback for their hubs want to keep doing so, as it is maybe an affirmation of their talents that they don't receive in every day life (what other forum allows you to give out your creations for peer reviews and appreciation?). In this sense it can become so addictive.

I don't think this is a bad thing though. Not only are you progressing forward with an activity you love, you are interacting with real people, sharing knowledge and interests and being part of a community. As long as it doesn't stop you eating like Melbel said then it's a great thing to be involved in I think smile Although, when you start dreaming about it, you definitely know you're addicted wink

Hope that helps!

4. camlo profile image90
    camloposted 7 years ago

Yes, it is far too addictive.
    If I didn't have dates with friends, a proper job to go to, or the necessity to sleep, I'd be on HubPages 24 hours a day.
    It even keeps me up all night, which plays havoc with my working life.
    I suppose the only thing to do to moderate my 'usage' would be to get rid of the computer.

5. gulnazahmad profile image63
    gulnazahmadposted 7 years ago

Very unique question but it should have to be asked. I am addicted to HubPages and could not get out of this addiction but this addiction is better than many other addictions so better be addicted to HubPages than to anything else. At times it becomes a nuisance when I have to go somewhere with my family. I don't want to go at those times.

6. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image80
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 7 years ago

I find HubPages very addicting.  But, it's a good addiction.  Where else can you do what you love most and meet such wonderful people?
    To tell the true, I don't do a thing to moderate my useage.  I just go with the urge.

Closed to reply

working