jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you rate a Hub? What criteria do you use to base your final vote?

1. ColibriPhoto profile image81
    ColibriPhotoposted 7 years ago

How do you rate a Hub? What criteria do you use to base your final vote?

I am new to HP and I do a lot of hub hopping to see what others are writing. When I read an article that uses poor English and has obviously not been proofread, I generally vote it down. Content means a lot to me, but if the article is poorly written I lose interest quickly.

What criteria do others use when rating a hub?

2. tritrain profile image84
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

Overall value.  It's subjective.

Do I like the Hub or not..

3. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 7 years ago

I apply the editor rule when reading hubs:
    magazine editors pull the piece from the envelope just enough to read the 1st par, what they read determines whether the copy comes out of the envelope for a better reading or goes back in the envelope and into the reject tray.
    If I get past the first par and read the thing I will vote up or down on content and quality, if I don't get past the 1st par, I down vote.

4. Beege215e profile image65
    Beege215eposted 7 years ago

Primary criteria:  Writing quality.  Does it make sense?  How is the spelling and grammar?  Is the writer clear in their concept?
    Are they just trying to sell me something?  And if they are selling something, are they giving me valid reasoning and common sense?
    I have hopped a lot of hubs, and if the writer cannot spell or use appropriate grammar it detracts and distracts the reader. So I stop right there.  If there is only a hateful rant, I stop.  Sometimes the english language is so badly abused that the article is pure unadulterated nonsense and I stop.  When I stop I vote down.  I have even gone so far on one or two occasions to flag a hub if it is too bad. But I don't like doing that. 
    I once read a hub that had a valid point, but the writer used a lot of vulgarities trying to get that point across.  I sent him an email suggesting that more people might listen if he were to not do that. I did not vote either up or down, and I did not yell at him in a comment. I just made a private observation. He read what I wrote and made his own editorial changes.