Help with an annoying unverified poster on one of my Hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (33 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

I am having a slight problem with an unverified person posting on one of my hubs. I am not sure if he/she simply has a screw loose, or if they are just trying to be a pain, but over the last few days they have posted on my Vegetable Growing in Containers hub about 8 times under various names, including my own username. Most of these posts come under the name "bee1ofsix" or variations of this name or my own name. I know it is the same person because their ip address is always the same.

The original post was okay and said something like "IIIIIILooooooovvvvvethissssss", odd, but not offensive although he had duplicated the same post about 4 times. When I politely thanked the poster, the next comments seemed to go a bit more crazy with badly spelt comments about having a load of produce they wanted to get rid of. Very strange so I deleted these, especially as they were mostly posted using variations on my own name.

Then I got some asking about wanting to buy a bean seed, carrot seed etc, so I deleted these as they were just plain silly. I then got another post from this person who I had thanked for the original comment that I had approved and replied to. This time his comment was batantly rude saying something like "LOLYourrhubbbbissooooodumb", which of course I deleted.

As these posts have been spread over several days I am concerned it may well continue. Is there any way I can get his IP address blocked, and are any of you experiencing problems similar to mine, possibly from the same person?

Thanking you all in advance of your responses.

PS. I have now changed the settings on the relevant hub for comments so that they won't show until they are approved by myself, but still feel this person should be somehow blocked if at all possible to prevent him annoying other people on their hubs, or possibly moving on to other hubs of mine now he can't post on my veg growing one.

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Not happening to me.  Sounds like you pulled in an idiot.

mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Shades, great to see you here. Yes, I think I might have done, but quite possibly he is a true idiot, (as in the slightly simple kind of fool), either that or perhaps he is on drugs or simply a nut job. All very odd, but glad it isn't happening to you too.

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I suppose the answer is emailing the hubteam, I'm sure they will be of assistance. Sorry you have to put up with this crap. Good luck now.

Thanks ralwus, I shall probably do that too just in case they can do anything.

4. anjalichugh profile image68
    anjalichughposted 14 years ago

This is a downside of writing in a public forum. One has to be prepared for such readers too. I've had unpleasant comments a few times but all I do is to delete them and report them as spam. I think by reporting those as spams really helped; I didn't get further posts from the same person. You can give this a try.

Yes it can be a bit of a nuisance, although so far the problem is only affecting one of my hubs, and it has not been a problem here on the forums.

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's what I do too. Eventually the person gets tired of having their posts deleted and goes and bothers someone else.

The comments that bother me more are the ones that are threatening. I don't get many but there have been a few. I handle them the same way, but I always think, geez, what is WRONG with people????

Yep, there are definitely some strange people out there Pam. What I found particularly strange was the topic of the hub he is targetting is so tame, I mean, "Vegetable Growing in Containers" is not exactly the kind of hub you would expect to attract a person like this. I would have been less surprised if it had been on a "double entendre" type hub.

1. profile image0
          pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The first thought I had they way you described it was that it was kid or someone who is not quite all there. Probably he, she, or it liked your photo and that happens to be the first and only hub of yours they've read.

Even mean comments are often kids. Adolescent boys think it's big fun to post crappy comments on the internet. Some of them grow out of it. big_smile

Good point Pam, and I also have to consider the possibility that the person never read the hub at all, but simply viewed my profile pic at the top of the hub, then thought, "vulnerable female, will creep her out".

5. tantrum profile image62
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

There are a lot of crazed people on the net. Here in hub pages as well. Why don't you give it a laugh ? It's healthier smile

Good point, but I do find it a little creepy to be getting such odd SPAM type posts from the same person over several days. Feels a bit weird.

1. tantrum profile image62
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well i would reply funny stuff. I'm a joker lol

I probably would if I didn't feel this might encourage there comments to become even worse, plus once you respond they are getting a reaction, which was no doubt exactly what they wanted!!!!! sad

1. tantrum profile image62
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I like tantrums  lol

LOL, hence the name??? wink

6. Anti-Valentine profile image74
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

I had a person who left a comment on my hub that said, "Lovey'all!"

*Delete*

Might have been the same person.

Possibly, if they do it again try to make a note of their IP address and if I get any further comments from "my annoying poster" I shall do the same and publish it here. We can then see if they match.

7. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

You've done the appropriate thing which is to change the settings. I wish there was a button that you could click to automatically change the settings to all Hubs cos you have 152.

The nutter could return and might post it on another one, unless you change the settings to all Hubs individually....

Trouble is that I prefer not to have to approve comments before they are visible because sometimes after an author leaves their hub for the day, or goes to bed etc, other hubbers might meet up on one of your hubs and start chatting, commenting to each other on the hub etc etc. This not only pulls in more traffic, but allows your hubber friends to enjoy a bit of banter on the subject or topic of the hub in question. It can be quite good fun I know from my own experiences.

8. Anti-Valentine profile image74

I'll try to remember.

At least it's not as bad as a comment I read on another hub about getting banned from adsense. It was an anonymous poster, and he threatened to click on our adsense ads and get us banned from adsense.

Probably just a bitter ex-adsense user.

What a nightmare, and what a nasty thing to threaten people with.

9. Anti-Valentine profile image74

Yep. Luckily I didn't post any comments on there and nobody responded to his threat, otherwise it might provoke him to do something instead of just saying it.

I feel it was best ignored so everyone did the right thing.

1. Anti-Valentine profile image74
        Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably true.

10. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

You might consider switching to a less attractive picture.  Put up some ugly man picture and I bet your problem goes away.

Well I would Shades, but then that would runi my street cred wouldn't it wink Thanks for the sweet compliment though big_smile

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

WOw thats kinda creepy...I hope you get it figured out and don't end up getting yourself an online stalker. CREEEPY!

12. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Well guys, I did contact the hubpages team, but they say unless the person is registered with hubpages there is nothing they can do. They suggested I notify them if it happened again and they would check. Well, it has happened again about an hour and a half ago, only this time he/she claims they "have a list they want to share" !!! ????? Obviously they were surprised their comment no longer immediately appeared, so they posted it again, and of course both times I have to approve it, so deleted it without approving it of course. However, I did make a note of the IP address and the latest name this person is using (yep, it has changed again). The IP address is: 24.16.155.84 The latest name they have used is: "he xerx tyty twertwertwertwer says:"

Crazier by the second. Anyway, I have passed on this info to the hubpages team, but would be interested if any of you get any similar problems from that IP address.

13. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I'd suggest switching the comment capsule to only allow registered users to submit comments.  Either that person will register, thus allowing HubPages to do something, or they'll get bored from not being able to comment and move on.

Then when they stop annoying you, the comment preferences can be changed back.

Not a bad idea  Relache, and thanks for the suggestion. It just seems a bit harsh on the genuine people who have comments to make or questions to ask, especially as that hub does get a lot of traffic.A shame there is no option to allow only registered user's comments to appear immediately, whilst unregistered user's comments need to first be approved by the author, that would be better still. I might even suggest it in the suggestions forum.

14. Seabastian profile image77
    Seabastianposted 14 years ago

Hate to hear you are being hassled. it sounds like Pgrundy hit it on the head-probably an adolescent guy(what would I give to be one of those again-only smarter and...ok.ok I know what an oxymoron is)

I hope the problem goes away.

One bright spot-I will go read your hub about gardening although it isn't my thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)