jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)

How comfortable are you to call yourself a writer?

1. Cindy2011 profile image58
    Cindy2011posted 7 years ago

How comfortable are you to call yourself a writer?

I've noticed when socializing that people expect me to have published a book if I'm calling myself a writer. It leaves me feeling awkward, then annoyed at myself not being more confident in myself.

2. agvulpes profile image86
    agvulpesposted 7 years ago

I agree with you! Even though I have been on Hubpages over 2 years and have published over 50 hubs I still cannot bring myself to tell people that I am a 'writer'!
    I believe and state that I am an 'observer' and a 'publisher' and to do these things I must 'write'.   However this is only part of the job.  Does this make me a 'writer'?

3. Sweetsusieg profile image83
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

I have been a writer of sorts for years but it wasn't until Dec. 31 of 2010 that I felt I could finally call myself a writer.  I have written 2 books but neither of them were published, one was stolen from my home and the other was eaten by my computer.  Though I had written, I didn't quite feel like a writer.

What was the change?  I finally received compensation for my work.  I think that was the turning point for me.  All of a sudden I felt validated, I earned money doing what I love.

I think it's the need for validation that we all have to feel confident enough to declare ourselves.

4. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 7 years ago

Don't worry about people like that they obviously don't know the proper definition of a writer. Next time, give a nice smile and point them in the direction of the nearest dictionary - even better point them in the direction of Hub Pages.

5. peterxdunn profile image59
    peterxdunnposted 7 years ago

I usually say something like, '...oh yeah - and I do a bit of writing as well...'. Then I tell 'em what to google.

6. suncat profile image58
    suncatposted 7 years ago

You can explain then that a writer doesn't necessarily have to have a book published. There are many different types of writers, and publishing a book is one of the things a writer may do. Writing and publishing a book are not always the same thing. Some book authors never wrote a book but had someone else write it, so there is more than one way of doing things.

7. Pollyannalana profile image86
    Pollyannalanaposted 7 years ago

I wrote a story at a young age to prove I could so I didn't really doubt I could but I didn't have the desire. About two years ago I decided to write an inspired romance but said well maybe I will practice first on a children's book. Those little characters just took me over and my husband too, we could not wait until the next day to see what my fingers had to say and I have written almost non-stop since then. I think when you love what you write, you can write. I only wish everyone else knew it as well as me, maybe soon.

8. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

I have been a full-time writer for about four years now, and have only been completely comfortable with referring to myself as a writer for about two years -- maybe less. When people ask if I've published a book, I politely explain that I might one day, but that's not really my focus right now. I then go on to explain that I write informational articles, web content, newsletters, and eBooks mostly, with a focus on marketing and micro-business.

....usually by the time I get to that point, they're sorry they even asked for more details unless they're interested in being writers by profession themselves tongue.

9. ThunderKeys profile image65
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

I feel comfortable calling myself a clinical writer. As professional counselor with loads of face to face therapy and clinical consulting experience, I have much to learn about how to tone down the jargon to get valuable relationship-saving and behavioral parenting advice across to my Hub-readers.

I think the phrase "I'm a writer" signifies some professional grade communication skills, for ideas and observations. To say so means more to me than just the act of writing, which most people can do.

- Duddy.

10. Christopher Floyd profile image60
    Christopher Floydposted 7 years ago

I'm pretty comfortable. I haven't published a book. I've had some short stories and some poetry published. Most importantly, I write. Occupationally, that is my main focus.
    Don't let them get to you. Pick up a major lit or poetry magazine and check out the nonsense they publish. That always makes me feel better.

11. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 7 years ago

First and formost I am a Child of God and a Christian.
    Second I am a musician, a singer.
    Third I am an amateur chef
    Fourth I am a Hub Writer

12. Cindy2011 profile image58
    Cindy2011posted 7 years ago

Good tip.  Thanks for your feedback,  I've had one newspaper article published and won a few writing contests, otherwise, lot's of personal journals and work material. I love to write.  So I'll keep plugging along.

13. g82hug profile image56
    g82hugposted 7 years ago

I completely understand what you mean!  I too struggle with calling myself a writer. I have self-published a novel, I write to a small email audience daily, but I only recently started writing online and blogging (Dec. 2010), but I still cannot call myself a writer. I completely have low writing self-esteem....but I'm working on it.

14. bloggering profile image71
    bloggeringposted 7 years ago

I enjoy writing and I write everyday - so I am a writer in my mind, but I don't necessarily tell other people that :-) Just like you say...writers are 'supposed' to be published in the traditional sense.

15. FaithDream profile image81
    FaithDreamposted 7 years ago

I consider myself a freelance writer. I write on hubpages, I create articles with additional hub capsules to illustrate my points. (images, videos, rss, etc). I also write a blog, maintain a website, and write on other areas for the web.

This is who I am, so I guess I am a writer. I'm pretty comfortable with that. smile

Good question.

16. clark farley profile image74
    clark farleyposted 6 years ago

I don't.
    Not that I feel bad about it, but even though I have found myself really enjoying this hub-writing thing, back when I was taking English composition, I was more concerned with learning the lead guitar riff from 'Sunshine of Your Love' than I was in syntax and proper grammar,
    Damn, guess the jokes on me...

(but if you are ever in my neighborhood, stop by and I will play lead guitar licks from a lot of 1960's songs!) lol