Phone verification. . . .WTF?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 13 years ago

Phone verification. . . .WTF?

My friend and fellow hubpages person Justom, just told me that he was asked to do a phone verification in order to publish a hub -what the hell is that about?  Does hubpages thing the "terrorist iz trying to git us?"

2. Mr. Happy profile image69
    Mr. Happyposted 13 years ago

I had to give a phone number today when I tried to post a blog. Enjoy the ghost-line phone number Hub-pages roffl Not getting my phone number - not this life-time.

They're just getting more and more ridiculous by the day. They're trying hard.
    (lol thanks to whoever gave me a minus point - be a donkey and hand your phone number to all the losers who ask for it ... not me Amigo)

3. GlstngRosePetals profile image66
    GlstngRosePetalsposted 13 years ago

Hmmmm I never had this probleme before but I think maybe if you switched computers your ISP changes as well so that's why they do a phone verification. I think this is a security issue to just verify who your are incase it's showing them two ISP numbers. You can go to contact us and send hubpages an email asking why and they can explain it better to you since there the one's asking for verification. I hope this helped.

4. justom profile image62
    justomposted 13 years ago

They just said it's a one time thing to verify I'm not a bot. WTF? Really, are these people stupid? If I was a bot I'd have better hubs :-P If I have to give my phone # to them I'm gonna' bill for the hassle. Let's see how they like being bent over and invaded.

5. CZCZCZ profile image89
    CZCZCZposted 13 years ago

Fine by me, Craigslist has been requiring PVA's for specific categories for a long time.  If this helps reduce some of the automated posts reducing hubpages overall quality then great, I am all for a one time phone verification.

6. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 13 years ago

it ain't happening to me i'll tell you that. i don't make money on here and if by reading what i have to say, they can't conclude i'm real, so be it.

7. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Here's the statement from HubPages on it http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/74996

8. profile image0
    Princess Pittposted 12 years ago

LOL i thought its forbidden to say such shit on Hubpages? how come they didnt erase you ques?

9. ArockDaNinja profile image69
    ArockDaNinjaposted 12 years ago

I'll tell you what... asking for phone numbers is a great way to lose hubbers. I've been on here for about 10 days, and I'm already almost fed up with the ridiculous rules and regulations. I'll go blog somewhere else, or start my own.

10. ArtAsLife profile image60
    ArtAsLifeposted 12 years ago

That is very strange they have my email, so they will not be getting my phone number:) haha

11. whoisbid profile image62
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

I had to give my phone number to get a Gmail account some time back. Guess what? No Gmail account for me and I signed up for Yahoo mail instead. I get tons of people calling me every day trying to sell something and it is very disturbing because I cannot work properly having to fend off these people continually.

12. timz profile image60
    timzposted 12 years ago

I think the whole phone verification is a bit ridiculous. Why do they need to verify your phone number? To prove you aren't a bot? Because they would like to sell your number to telemarketers? Seriously, I am not giving my number out to any websites like this. A recent site that asked me for my number for "phone verification" was Craigslist. I am just trying to post an ad that says I am looking for an apartment around the area, why should I have to provide "phone verification?" They already have my email address, I think asking for a phone number is going a little to far.

13. trecords0 profile image60
    trecords0posted 12 years ago

i have to agree with glstngrosepetals.  its an isp issue.  it seems to me like i remember having to do something like that at one point.  i already have to do the capture before signing into my account.

14. adanpt1 profile image38
    adanpt1posted 12 years ago

I'm sure it's mostly about trying to stop bots and spammers, but I'm not convinced they have fully considered what a negative reaction requiring a phone number will bring from LOTS of people. Nobody wants more telemarketers, etc. and even if your number is not being saved or sold how would you really know? There are other ways to stop bots, this is not the answer.

15. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

And what if I don't HAVE a phone number?  I DON'T have a phone number, by the way - so I'd then have to give someone else's number.

I don't do banks either - no damned usurer scum in my economic life - no thinks, I ain't no body's "goy."  EFF that.

16. terrektwo profile image78
    terrektwoposted 12 years ago

possibly an issue with his account. Occasionally if their is a major problem verifying the account hubpages could do a phone verification.

17. Ask KayB profile image60
    Ask KayBposted 12 years ago

Yes indeed...WTF...already have my email address..people sending junk and spam mail..now you want phone verification..why? so some 3rd party company can call my phone numerous time trying to sell me crap I'm not inerested in...NOT

18. jj0466 profile image61
    jj0466posted 12 years ago

yeah, I thought it was a little strange, especially since they already have your email...so why not just do an email verification?

19. hubljl profile image60
    hubljlposted 12 years ago

I think it just a glitch on hubpages site, ask your friend to submit a report on them. They only ask me for verification once after I registered.

20. hemroids-Cure profile image39
    hemroids-Cureposted 12 years ago

I had to give a phone number today when I tried to post a blog

21. diydiva profile image75
    diydivaposted 12 years ago

They are trying to prevent spam, and scams.  They are just trying to protect you and your hubs.  As far as I've seen this is not a site for "blogging" it is more of an article style platform. Sorry your not liking this new element but I don't believe they are doing it to piss you off. sad

22. ipadguru profile image39
    ipadguruposted 12 years ago

Now that is pretty gay,  google did the same thing to me the other day.  But Hub pages did not do that do me yet?

23. zionmyhome profile image59
    zionmyhomeposted 12 years ago

phone verification is lame I was out of the country and wanted to verify something and it would have cost me a ton of money to open the txt.

24. ukbusiness profile image40
    ukbusinessposted 12 years ago

I havent had this yet from HubPages, it seems to be something many companies are doing nowadays to tighten security.

I would imagine its because your account could have flagged up spam indicators like multiple IP logins, single IP but multiple accounts, rapid incorrect login attempts and things like that.
    If you really object it to that much then it may be worth sending them an email to explain and then they may be able to offer an alternative

25. profile image51
    paleorposted 11 years ago

Sure way for hubpages to lose users. Stupid rules and regulations. Why don't they do something better than such idiotic things?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)