jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should writing the summary be part of the "start a new Hub" page?

1. rachellrobinson profile image80
    rachellrobinsonposted 6 years ago

Should writing the summary be part of the "start a new Hub" page?

I don't know about the rest of you but I have the hardest time remembering to write my summary. I wonder if that should be on the first page when you click start a new hub, title it, pick the category before you go on you have to write a couple sentences what the hub will be about.

2. JEDIJESSICUH profile image76
    JEDIJESSICUHposted 6 years ago

No, because whenever I start a hub it doesn't always end up how I planned it to be. It'll take a different turn or become something entirely different. And sometimes I'm just trying to save ideas and don't have time to do more than pick a category and log off. I almost always forget to write a summary and a reminder would be nice, but isn't that was the As are for?

3. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

Funny you mention that.  When I first started on HubPages about two years ago, that is exactly how it was. It was part of the entire "create a hub" thing. Then one day it was removed and I had trouble finding how to include my summary. I never knew why HP removed it from the main focus. But I soon found where it was hidden away along with all the other important things that needs to be specified for a new hub, such as the group, the settings, even the tags. So I continued to enter my summary and made it part of the entire process every time I published another hub.

As for how to write a summary. One trick is to use the first sentence of the hub. But many times I do that backwards. After completing the hub I write a short summary, only to realize that my summary would make a better introductory first paragraph than the one I first wrote. So I add it to the beginning of the hub and ALSO use it for the summary.

Hope that helps in some way.

4. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 6 years ago

No. You either draft the hub in a word process or directly into capsules.

If you compose on the fly directly into capsules, there are still other important items off to the right that need to be addressed: group, tags, etc. With this method, you really don't have more than a general impression of what the hub is about until you're done.  When you've finished, you can tease the reader cogently and succinctly in 250 characters or less, and use a couple of keyword phrases in the process.

If you compose in a word processor, then you have the summary to start with and can enter it first, but only if you remembered to write it. I write the article, then the introductory first paragraph, and finally the summary teaser.

Extra credit pet peeve:
    >>The first paragraph is an *introduction* to prepare the reader for the body of the hub.
    >>In the publishing industry, a *summary* is the concluding paragraph(s) to succinctly review the hub contents.
    >>In the publishing industry, a *teaser* (HP summary) is used to pique the reader's interest, whet his appetite and hook them into wanting to click and read.

working