jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Which is correct, "the affects of" or "the effects of"?

1. lorenmurcia profile image88
    lorenmurciaposted 6 years ago

Which is correct, "the affects of" or "the effects of"?

My teachers have always taught me "the effects of" but I can see other writers write "the affects of". I'm a non-English speaker so this thing gets me confused.

2. missolive profile image96
    missoliveposted 6 years ago

We usually teach - effect
    As in cause and effect.
    Here is a great explanation by Grammar Girl - She explains the difference between the two.
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/af … ffect.aspx

3. brittanytodd profile image94
    brittanytoddposted 6 years ago

Affect usually means something has an influence on the other.  Example: The woman wasn't affected by the man's behavior.

Effect is something that occurred due to a cause, like missolive said.  Example: The effects of the storm included a large tree falling on a car.

4. Gem Marie profile image73
    Gem Marieposted 6 years ago

My thoughts are as Brittanytodd explained it...

5. plussize-lingerie profile image61
    plussize-lingerieposted 6 years ago

Brittanytodd explained it well, but it's pretty simple:

Affect is the verb, so you affect a change.

Effect is the noun, so an you make an effect occur.

You cannot effect something. Though linguistics may affect that. ;-)

6. melbel profile image96
    melbelposted 6 years ago

Affect can actually be a noun in the psychological sense. Such as, "I think that guy might be an alcoholic... he has an affect." It's like a state of being or according to the dictionary, "an observed emotional response."

I've only heard it talked about in reference to alcoholism, but I guess the term is more commonly used in schizophrenia.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

A lot of Native-born English speakers have trouble with this too they are easily confused because they sound so similar.

As verbs affect means "to influence" and effect means "to bring about". 

Effect can also be a noun that means "result", so "the effects of"  means "the results of" and would be correct.

It would also be correct to say: The medicine affected him negatively-- and the medicine had a bad effect.

8. athena2011 profile image58
    athena2011posted 6 years ago

Came to answer this question and read the previously given answers as I often do. Decided that they were so good I need not add to the answers. Great explanations guys. Voted a few of you up.

9. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

' Effects of'.  Generally, it is always best not to fall into the habit of writing the 'impact of', that diisplays a lack of understanding of how to use 'effect of';  and whats going on there is everything being hit?
    Like most of English, the rules are simple but they are moveable feasts.

working