jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do You write a hub?

1. mbyL profile image82
    mbyLposted 6 years ago

How do You write a hub?

Do you habe a word document open and write a draft there? Do you even make some notes first and order them after you did your research? Or do you simply write without any preparation?

2. Kyricus profile image61
    Kyricusposted 6 years ago

Though I've yet to publish my first hub ( I just joined a few days ago and want to publish a quality one as my first) I am doing the original layout in Word. I've been working with Word for years and feel more comfortable using something I'm familiar with at first.

Once that draft is done and to my liking I'll copy it to the capsules here.

I hope to have my first Hub published this weekend. It's nearly done and would be done if not for "Real Life" work getting in the way.

3. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

I just write on HP as I go. In my opinion, it's nice to see how it's falling into place on the page. This helps me to better determine where to break, start a new capsule, place a photo, etc... I just don't publish it until I'm done. There's seemed to be no harm in starting a hub on here and not publishing it right away. Not to say there's really a wrong way but this is my preference. Welcome to HP!

4. Ironman1992 profile image61
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

I sometimes make a draft on a piece of paper, and polish it when I am actually typing it out. I don't use programs such word document for a hub. I just type it out and save it unpublished, and when I'm finished later, I publish it.

5. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

It depends. Sometimes when I believe I will forget a subject, I write down what main points I would like to put into the hub and morph it later. However, most of my hubs have no planning whatsoever. I just sit down and write. Which subject has been bugging me? What are main points in this subject? What is interesting about it? Etc.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image87
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

Mostly my pages are flights of fancy.  Therefore I find it easier to flow into a Word document.  At that stage it's not about formatting, capsules, puictures, etc. - it's about capturing a train of thought.  I then polish, edit and tweak within Word until I have a document.
    Then I find places to separate the text and build capsules and pictures into a Hub page.  There is still a need to polish how it looks on the page, and then publish.
    One benefit of the Word approach is that I have a copy of all my bits of writing, just in case the site crashes or disappears.
    For some pages though I do use the direct to Hub Page approach.  That is when it is more about the look and feel of the page rather than the text.

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years ago

I write my hub on microsoft works.  Then I do a grammar and spell check.  After that, I decide how I want to do my capsules. Following that, I transfer the capsules to the hubpages text editor and add photos, videos, etc.   I often return to my hubs to improve them, add thoughts, etc. 

Since I am old, I write from my own life experiences and only do research when I feel it is necessary to support my thoughts.  It takes time, but I am usually pretty proud of my work when finished.