jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why Did HubPages Decide Not to Include the Date When Hubs Are Published?

1. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Why Did HubPages Decide Not to Include the Date When Hubs Are Published?

Does anyone know the rationale for this decision?

2. Knowledgeshared profile image71
    Knowledgesharedposted 6 years ago

knowledge is timeless and time is illusion

3. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

Whats the rationale behind having a date? Suppose you're writing a hub on an evergreen topic (isn't that what's stressed on) take for example my hubs about tomatoes. The basics will remain the same no matter how many years in the future you may go - won't they? Do u want people in 2020 to see the publish date as 2011 (just an example) and immediately close it considering it as outdated even though such hubs are immortal.

4. gregas profile image81
    gregasposted 6 years ago

You have a date on your statistics for your information. Why does anyone else have to know the date it was published? Greg

5. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the answers everyone.  I think what lobobrandon said makes sense.  Some topics are not time sensitive, and attaching a date to them will turn off readers.  However, a reader may find it useful to know the date as an optional choice.  Sometimes scientific consensus changes on particular matters over time.  A reader may want to know the date of the article (Hub), perhaps for research purposes.  Anyway, we don't want to scare off readers, so I am fine with no publication dates assocaited with Hubs.

6. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

I suppose if you are writing about a timely subject and want readers to know when it was written you are free to mention the date.

7. rajan jolly profile image88
    rajan jollyposted 6 years ago

For an evergreen topic the date is irrelevant. On the contrary, it might affect it negatively, as lobobrandon rightly says. For other hubs,it's always better to keep them updated and maybe if one wishes one can put downthe date it was updated.

8. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6323710_f260.jpg

I checked under Firefox > tools >page info and yes - hubpages does update the hub for the current date. Someitmes it's nice to know the date of when it has been published but because we all can change a hub at anytime - the original date is useless.   

Having a date is good when using it as a reference. The date is important according to Chicago Manual of Style - Author-Date System

Think about the olden days of the prophecies of nostradamus - back dating after the fact.

9. cheaptoys profile image59
    cheaptoysposted 6 years ago

that is because a hub is always a work in progress besides there does not seem to be any reason to add a date?

working