jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you use research in your hubs without plagiarizing?

1. Victoria Lynn profile image90
    Victoria Lynnposted 5 years ago

How do you use research in your hubs without plagiarizing?

When you research information for your hub, how do you cite the sources that you use? How do you give credit? Sometimes I read hubs with info that is evidently researched information, but it appears to be summarized by the hub author with no credited source. In print work, this would be considered plagiarism. Don't the same rules apply for material on the web? I usually write about things I know about so little or no research is involved. I need to learn more about the rules of using research in hubs and other web articles.

2. breathe2travel profile image79
    breathe2travelposted 5 years ago

I use the same guidelines I did as a journalist. If the information can be adequately summarized through paraphrase then I do and reference. If not, I use a direct quote, quotations and cite my source.  smile  Using HubPages CMS,I provide a backlink to actual source site when appropriate.

If it is information that is widely known (George Washington was our founding father, plants use photosynthesis to grow, etc.), often you do not have to credit the sources.  If the information is unique, or uniquely presented in a manner bringing relevance to what otherwise is difficult to understand, then protocol is to credit original researcher/writer/philosopher. smile

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image99
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I always give credit to my source either by providing a direct link to it or by using direct quotes.

4. Amethystraven profile image80
    Amethystravenposted 5 years ago

Always give credit to the source you get the information from if you are going to be using it word for word. Everything I know I have read about, have experienced it, or have had someone tell me the information in one form or another. I like to research anything I'm not sure of, as I don't like to misinform. Name the source. Since I wasn't born knowing everything I know, I research the things I love and the things that I have learned from and want to continue learning about. There are so many sources of information that can be used for enlightenment on any subject. I never feel like I have learned everything about a subject and am always open to new information and new sources.

working