jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What can be done to help hubbers for whom English is a second language?

1. hush4444 profile image72
    hush4444posted 5 years ago

What can be done to help hubbers for whom English is a second language?

Day after day we see questions from hubbers whose hubs have been unpublished due to being substandard and/or rife with spelling and grammatical mistakes (not spun or poorly translated).  The teacher in me wants to help them, but I don't know what can be done. Can we help them or would another venue be a better choice?

2. Barbara Kay profile image90
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

We can offer to help them edit some of their hubs and they can re-read them and can learn that way. I offered to help one of them that was an excellent author otherwise and had real talent. He followed me, but never took me up on the offer. Maybe I should have gotten back with him.

3. somethgblue profile image86
    somethgblueposted 5 years ago

Unfortunately many of these Hubbers that you are thinking are foreign writers where english is a second language, are really Americans with poor English.

I just graduated from college and can honestly say that many young people write exactly as they talk and never think twice about running sentences together, misspelled words and poor grammar.

The text language that has come about by cell phones has created a whole new written language, that can very difficult to follow.

Also it is very obvious by the way in which these writers process information that they are very young and do not use critical thinking which has been bred out of most young Americans from years of conditioning and TV.

4. Khal Blogo profile image61
    Khal Blogoposted 5 years ago

They should learn themselves. English is a second language to me as well, and i speak it better than many americans or englishmen. It's just a matter of how much work you're willing to put into it.

5. cheaptoys profile image61
    cheaptoysposted 5 years ago

pay people to proof read hubs! or have some form of ad sharing with these collaboration type hub writing

6. AssistedLivingEve profile image59
    AssistedLivingEveposted 5 years ago

People can offer to help correct them. Perhaps befriend a native English speaker.
    I know this sounds a bit silly, but Word does check for grammar as well as spelling and copy/pasting from that program can help eliminate some errors.