jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)

Why do people ask questions on Hubpages that they could ask Mr. Google?

1. petenali profile image85
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

Why do people ask questions on Hubpages that they could ask Mr. Google?

I understand the concept of building the Hubpage community and dipping into the vast knowledge contained therein, but if you are seeking a factual answer to a question, perhaps Google might be a good place to look too.  Or maybe they have tried that and had no success already....?

Perhaps it's just me and I'm not a faithful hubber, because I would tend to "Google it" first...

2. Philanthropy2012 profile image86
    Philanthropy2012posted 5 years ago

1. Mr Google does not generate publicity for your hubs

2. Mr Google does not give an answer specifically to you

3. Mr Google can take a long time if it's a hard question

4. Mr Google doesn't know everything (yet)

petenaliposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Good points... I suspected some questions were posed solely to generate publicity as they are often inane.  Thanks for the answer.

2. kmackey32 profile image66
      kmackey32posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Many hubers don't realize, you can earn money from asking questions.

3. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

A lot of questions, I'm sure, are asked by people who spend many soul searching hours looking for questions to put up here  Then they flood the pages with a column of, often, inane questions that could be easily researched on google.  Who knows why they do it, perhaps they like to see little columns of their photo or avatar.  By the lack of their response to respondents, I don't believe they are really interested in any answer, and a little  later we see another column of inane questions by the same querent.  Perhaps hubpages should make it a requirement that querents reply to every answer, the enormity of that task may curtail their activities, when tthey have, say, 10 respondents that they have to reply to.

Ah, there you have it.  I like your thinking, and to prove it I commented on your answer! If I see 10 questions in a row from the same person I fly on by.  Thanks.

2. Several Ninjas profile image79
      Several Ninjasposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It would probably be too much to expect you to know that commenting on answers has only recently been enabled on hubpages.

One wonders why some feel so compelled to reply to questions that are so beneath them?

3. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great idea Mick S.  I too pass by a column of questions by the same person.  I know they aren't really interested in interacting with the community but are attempting to up scores or whatever.

4. flashmakeit profile image69
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

There is a lot of knowledge contained within the Hubpages which receive over 11,000,000 unique visitors a month.  A Google search may take up too much time to find the correct precise answer someone many be seeking compared to the amount of time it may take to get an answer from other Hubbers.  If you are seeking answer from Hub page members then why waste time searching your for answers on Google.  Usually if you do a Google search you will receive a yahoo answer.  It would make more sense to ask questions on the Hub pages to help build up the Hub pages website and possible bring some one to your Hub page.

Good point indeed.  I'm all for finding the answer within the hub community.  It's just the wacky questions asked solely to get visitors I struggle with I think.  Good to hear from you though!

5. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

Quite often, I will Google a question to get the answer if I do not know it. The answers are on there. I think people are just trying to help their points. That is quite often the reason that I answer them.

Thanks Becky, glad I could help you to boost your points too, tee hee.. ;-)

6. JakeFrost profile image60
    JakeFrostposted 5 years ago

I think it's already said but it is a way of interacting with the community. If someone clicks on your question then they might click your name and read a hub.

I ask random questions everyday

7. watergeek profile image99
    watergeekposted 5 years ago

Once the general hub quality improves here, I'll be going here first, then Wikipedia, then Google. Google gives me dinky single paragraph answers from sites like eHow or Yahoo, which often aren't that accurate. Then I have to search several pages back to find what I'm looking for . . . if I ever do find it.