jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Am I allowed to publish someones name and address on hubpages?

1. Matthew Kirk profile image81
    Matthew Kirkposted 5 years ago

Am I allowed to publish someones name and address on hubpages?

I am about to do a hub about a particular topic which affects a lot of people in the UK.

It's about companies scamming people in short... I have credit checked one of the main antagonists and have the directors address as a result as well as the companies detailed accounts. What am I allowed to publish in my hub? And what are my rights with regards to defamation of the company? I know the hub will get loads of google traffic once its done, the company are also infamous for finding things like this and trying to shut them down, as well as leaving derogatory comments about the authors...

2. prasadjain profile image73
    prasadjainposted 5 years ago

Any bad publication about any person or company amounts for defamation.But the details of rules differ from country to country. In USA, i have heard, that it is the duty of the person who files the suit, to prove that his prestige is damaged. In India, it is the duty of the statement giver to prove that what he has stated is correct. if it is correct, then defamation case will not stand.You have to ascertain about UK rules.I believe it is similar to Indian rules.
        My suggestion is-to write the hub and show it to a lawyer with proofs you have, to prove your charge.If you cannot do that,then, instead of publishing that in the form of a hub, you can complain about the fraud caused by that company,to concerned department in the government.

1. Matthew Kirk profile image81
      Matthew Kirkposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have personal experience including emails, as well as a whole load of other internet based testimonials.

I can see that they have an international D rating as a credit rating - can I publish this at least?

3. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 5 years ago

No..please don't do it....................

4. joanwz profile image78
    joanwzposted 5 years ago

Tread carefully with this one. There are rules of journalism and laws that apply.
    1. If you have actual evidence of wrong doing, generally they can be published as fact as long as you use the evidence in your article to back up your claims.
    2. If the person is a public figure, and if you can prove that person is directly responsible for the actions, that can be published as fact.
    3. In general, it is advisable to steer clear of publishing personal addresses. THere are too many problems attached. Company addresses are a different matter, because those are considered public information, unlike a personal home address.
    4 If the information you have cannot be backed with publicly available evidence, or if your evidence is either shaky or coming from a less than reputable source, then you have two choices. (a) don't publish anything about this claim, or (b) word the claim as an opinion. Opinions (I believe..., I feel that..., he allegedly...,) may allow you to squeak by.

Check the libel laws for your state before doing anything. Also check with the HubPages powers that be for clarification as to what they will allow you to publish. If you can't publish it here, you may be able to publish it with some local newspapers as a freelance piece or as an op/ed piece. Do your homework first. It'll keep you out of trouble.

working