jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)

E-mail when a forum topic is updated

1. WordPlay profile image77
    WordPlayposted 7 years ago

Could HubPages add the option to be e-mailed when a forum topic is updated? That would save people from having to repeatedly check the thread or hubtivity to see if there's been a reply.

Thanks!

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why would you want 900 emails an hour?

2. Hope Wilbanks profile image74
    Hope Wilbanksposted 7 years ago

I agree, it would be nice. I have trouble remembering which ones I contributed to sometimes.

3. Mark Knowles profile image61
    Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago

Good grief no thank you - some of these thread scan get at little heated.. Just hit the "your" button at the top of the page. wink

WordPlayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm not suggesting that it should be mandatory to be notified by e-mail, just that a checkbox be put in every thread that allows the option. The default setting could be to have the box unchecked, so you'd have to actively choose it to get the e-mails. Most forums offer something like that.

That would allow you to forego e-mails on heated topics! smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
        Mark Knowlesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL

Well in that case....... I could just envisage 267 emails telling me a thread I had offended some one on had been updated. lol

Seriously - there is a button at the top which allows you to see if there has been any activity on a thread you have been involved on. Would that not work in this case?

WordPlayposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The other day I had an issue affecting about 100 of my hubs and it would have been great to just get e-mail notification that Paul had responded in the forum about it being fixed. It was important, because I had put text related to the error on a few of my hubs that were getting huge traffic and I wanted to remove that text as soon as it was no longer relevant.

If I had e-mail updates on that thread, I could have just unsubscribed from it as soon as I got the answer I needed.

2. ngureco profile image87
      ngurecoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's far much easier than clouding your inbox with hundreds of thread updates.

1. sunforged profile image65
        sunforgedposted 7 years agoin reply to this

If you guys are truly daunted by such a prospect..you would probably benefit all round by taking a half hour to organize and set filters and labels in your inboxes.

setting all hubpages.com mail to skip the inbox and go to a hubpages folder is not very difficult...but than again..hmm..checking that folder is just as much work as clicking the "your" tab

I remove my support for a subscribe option but still sing the praises of proper inbox organization

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
          Mark Knowlesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged - As usual - I am more impressed with you every time you say something.

And not many people impress me. big_smile

4. sunforged profile image65
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

its pretty common to have a subscribe to comments or subscribe to thread option, im surprised we dont have one already.

im embarassed, but I do check back at the "your" tab, more than i would like to admit..a subscribe option would be excellent..or even an rss feed

It wouldnt effect my inbox as I have a pretty complex level of filters set up through gmail

1. ediggity profile image60
      ediggityposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I need to use this technique.  My Inbox looks like someone sneezed mail into it.

http://lifehacker.com/5167829/ten-must+ … r-download

Lifehacker tends to explain stuff well..i only scanned the link but it seems to cover everything

its so very easy..makes email so much more manageable

1. ediggity profile image60
          ediggityposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sweet!

this link is within the post i already linked to...but just in case you miss it

http://lifehacker.com/software/email/ge … 190416.php

2. wyanjen profile image83
        wyanjenposted 7 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

5. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

use the YOUR feature!! 
    much easier.

working