jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think the "latest" answer to a question should be featured first?

1. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

Do you think the "latest" answer to a question should be featured first?

I know you can sort the list to show the latest answer, it just seems like it should be the default setting. It seems odd to me when I answer a question that already has many answers and my new answer ends up in the middle of the pack.

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Answers to questions get sorted based on some obscure algorithm. It would seem to be influenced by AuthorScore and number of thumbs-up.

I don't think the last answer should show first because lots of people chime in with "me too" type answers later that aren't really adding value.

Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It certainly is obscure, it almost seems random sometimes. First to last would be OK too. If people put "me too" answers it's easier to follow if they're in the order they're received.  Oh well, I can always resort them.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

The order of the comments to a hub are set in the Global Settings. If you hit the edit button on the comment capsule, there is a link to the Global Settings. I do not think you can apply the global settings to individual hubs and if you change them for one hub, the order of comments will change for all of your hubs.

Personally, I think the comments should be in chronological order. Granted, it is a pain to scroll down to the latest comment on a long thread, but if you are reading that thread for the first time, it needs to be read in order.

Hub Pages probably could add a button on the page that would let you jump to the last comment.

Thanks for answering Larry, but I was asking about the order of comments here in the Q&A section. By default they are sorted by "Best." But the criteria they judge "Best" by seems a bit arbitrary.

4. profile image0
    B A N K A I guyposted 5 years ago

Personally, I think the latest comments should be last as you can then see if someone has just copied another persons answer and just edited it! However, you are right in the way it confuses people.

EDIT: Just posted this and it came up last!

Thanks for answering, it's not an issue when there are few answers, but I answered a question that had 15 other answers. My answer was right in the middle as soon as I posted it. Plus the order changes. It just makes it easy to miss some answers.

working