jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Do Hub Scores go down if you ask or answer political questions?

1. pagesvoice profile image84
    pagesvoiceposted 5 years ago

Do Hub Scores go down if you ask or answer political questions?

There are always questions about what causes Hub Scores to fluctuate.Like most on this site, I am clueless about the rating process. I've seen my score go up and down by 8 points, which leads me to wonder if asking or answering political (sometimes controversial) questions can adversely impact on Hubbers scores?

2. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

pagesvoice.....Correct...these types of questions are rampant.  Everyone is curious and interested in how or why our hubber score fluctuates as it does.   I've yet to hear a feasible answer...nor have I ever gotten 2 answers alike.  Basically, I think all responses are "guesses" at best......or "assumptions," at worst.  because this is such a mystery, without a specific and clear explanation from HP, apparently, we simply will not get a handle on this.
    It has to do with OVER ALL hubber activity.....each and every move we make.  Much of the fluctuation occurs by "auto tech".....some by humans.
    I would not think that answering political questions has more or less of an effect as any other activity does.
    If you get the message that this is vague and mysterious...it's because IT IS.   Best thing I would suggest..as has been suggested to me a few times, in the past, is to go about your hub business and don't focus on scores.  They do what they do and are what they are.  Doesn't help much, does it?  I know!

3. chef-de-jour profile image95
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

It's impossible to tell but I would say your hub score is not dependent on you answering political questions.....but the one way to find out would be to answer say ten political questions in a row and then keep an eye on the old hubscore!

If it's any comfort - I was away from hubpages for a few days and only got round to answering one or two questions in about a week. In this time I didn't write any new hubs and I didn't comment on any because of lack of time. My hubscore went up to 100 (from 96) and stayed there for about 3 days or so before tumbling down (as usual) when my activity increased!

Like you I think there is no law or scientific formula that governs the hubscore. It has a mind of its own.
    If you decide to answer ten political questions let me know the outcome!

4. MarleneB profile image97
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

Oh, if someone could answer this question I would be so grateful. Does anybody know? Based on my experience, it does not seem to matter what type of question/answer series you are involved or not involved. The system is quirky. I mean... one day I went through my account and "unfollowed" a bunch of stuff - hubs, hubbers, questions, forums, etc. The next day my score was pumped up to 99 (from 94) for a day. What? I had not written any hubs, nor asked or answered any questions the whole week. Virtually, for that week, I was inactive, as hubbers go. Nevertheless, my score jumped up.

On the other hand, there have been times when I have published several hubs, asked and answered questions, started and participated in forums - did it all, and my score went down. What? I decided it was of no use to worry about my score.

The only reason I cared about my score in the first place is because I use my Hubpages profile page as a portfolio address for clients to have as a reference. It kind of hurts my reputation as a writer when a client goes to my portfolio page and sees low scores. Not having the knowledge of what it takes to increase my score is somewhat harmful to my image. If it were not for that, I would care less about my score.

1. MarleneB profile image97
      MarleneBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This means a lot to me. Thank you for your vote.

2. pagesvoice profile image84
      pagesvoiceposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They were your words and not mine that scored "best." Thank you for your response.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I thin MarleneB and Chef-de-jour have uncovered a clue. I have been less active on hubpages this week, only answering a couple of comments and questions. My score is the highest it's ever been. I bet answering 10 questions in a row on any subject would bring your score down.

working