Why is Hubber Score going down.

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (88 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I took a hiatus for awhile from Hub Pages!  However, in the past week or so, I have added new hubs participated in forums, asked a question or two, participated with the Hub Hopper, have read some Hubs, yet my Hubber Score is lower than it was when I was doing nothing.  I don't get it!

1. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your Hubber Score has nothing to do with traffic to your Hubs, participation in the forums, making comments, etc.  There are people on HP, who haven't published anything in years and who do not participate on the site, who have very high Hubber Scores. The Hubber Score is supposed to reflect the QAP evaluation of your Hubs.  And, the QAP evaluation chart has little to do with the quality of your work in Google's eyes.

For example I have a Hub which has had more than 190,000 views in the past 12 months.  It's Hub Score is only 73.  I have another Hub with more than 128,000 in the past ten months.  That one has a Hub Score of 65.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Part of your HubberScore is the average of the scores of all your Hubs.   So if you publish several new Hubs (which always start with a lower score), you're going to drag down your average and therefore your score.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that's true anymore. When my hub scores recently fell (all of them, and quite considerably), my hubber score remained the same.

I no longer look at my statistics page, by the way. It's just too heartbreaking. Thank goodness for GA.

Here's one of the many places where Paul E. has posted that Hubber Scores mainly reflect QAP scores on Hubs:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123954? … ost2624661

Paul D. has posted that voting a Hub 'Up' or 'Down' has little effect on a Hub's score.  If this were true, the system could be gamed.

Does Paul E. Really say that? He says, "We've changed HubScore so much over the years. It once had a significant traffic component. Not so much today. We don't use seo data in the scores." Okay, so if not SEO, maybe quality as set by HP standards, but I've spent weeks analyzing my scores, and can still make no sense of them. When I last looked, I had one rather unspectacular hub with a score of 98, and several quite good hubs in the mid 70s. The score seems to have nothing to do with SEO, quality, content, length, amount of ads, amount of media. Nothing at all. Hub scores are just nonsense nowadays!

By the way, Paul E. is not talking about hubber score on that thread, but hub score.

Here's another quote from Paul E. This change was made about a year ago:
              "Our new enhanced Hubber Score substantially reflects the data we have on the quality of Hubs and the intent of the writer."
              http://blog.hubpages.com/2013/08/summer … ubpages-hq

I can only judge by my own observations: all at once a couple of weeks ago, my hub scores dropped drastically, but my hubber score didn't. So perhaps hub scores no longer have anything to do with quality? As I said in my previous post, I don't think any of the scores have anything to do with anything at all.

2. Rock_nj profile image91
          Rock_njposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I don't see the correlation between individual Hub Scores and the overall Hubber Score.  I had lower average Hub Scores than now and achieved a 100 Hubber Score for a time in 2013.  The only thing I could attribute it to was that I was very active on the site at that time and publishing Hubs regularly.  But, it is hard to pin the reason down because inactive users can maintain relatively high Hubber Scores for long periods of time, and then when they become active again, their Hubber Scores drop.  I hear that complaint all of the time.

One simple fix HubPages editors:  Have the Hubber Score decay in value if someone is not engaged on the site for many months.  There are some that have been gone for years and still have relatively high Hubber Scores, while those that toil on the site continuously maintain similar Hubber Scores.  That makes no sense.  Have it decay with time, if one is not active.

In my case, being active in the HP community--participating in the forums, answering questions, commenting on hubs etc.--does not improve hubber score at all.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

New hubs have lower scores to begin with, thus your total score goes down temporarily when you add new hubs.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What you have stated here, is in direct contrast to my experience.  A new hub almost immediately raises my hubber score.  Looks to me like most all of the responses anyone can come up with are either "speculation, opinion or outdated info". 
        Hubber score is, has been and remains a mystery.  It seems even to HP authorities....as the answers from them are always different.
        Bottom line?  The hubber score is a constant source of stress and discouragement to hubbers unless they don't care because they put in little effort, time and focus into their work to begin with.   Can't get away from this fact.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The effect is noticeable only if you have a small number of hubs and/or add a lot of new hubs at once because is is an mean factor being used.  OP has only 25 hubs and added several new ones at once.  Ergo this is in fact a very good explanation of what she experienced, and similar to what many others with few hubs have reported in these forums, and what I experienced back when I had only a few hubs.

4. Buildreps profile image85
      Buildrepsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess that Hubber scores are dropping because of all the new inflow of the fresh Hubs and Hubbers from Squidoo. Hubpages is 'reshuffling' the scores of Hubs and Hubbers. I think scores will be normal in a few weeks.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

The scores changed weeks ago, when they decided to tweak the algorithm that calculates HubScores.  At that time, no Squidoo lenses had been imported.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60

WF:  I did some reading on it this morning.  The Hubber Score is supposed to reflect activity on the site, and supposedly it also has an effect on the hub scores.  I am referring to the Hubber Score that is part of your profile.   Hub scores themselves are nuts.  I added  to  pics, videos, suggestions by HP if they were appropriate for the hub I was working on, only to watch the score drop.

If these scores really mean nothing, then why even have them since we don;t know how HP even determines the scoring.

All good questions, of course. Much of the information you are reading in the Learning Center has not been updated in some time.  For instance, the Hub Score no longer reflects traffic numbers. Here's a Hubber who used to be an employee at HP.  Since she left two years ago to pursue other ventures, she hasn't published a single Hub, has made no forum posts and has not commented on a single Hub.  Her Hubber Score is 97:
      http://simonesmith.hubpages.com/

Often your Hubber Score will go down when you publish a new Hub.  Discouraging, isn't it?

Many people have asked this many times.  The bottom line is that writers here don't like the scores, especially shown publicly, but management does.  (P.S.: Simon Smith didn't like them, either, and her score was always stellar!)

2. fpherj48 profile image60

Linda smith 1  EXACTLY!  and precisely the question so many have.  If they're meaningless......get rid of them entirely rather than continue to torture hubbers.

3. Ice cold princess profile image60
    Ice cold princessposted 9 years ago

The way I see it is that you can worry about the score and do nothing, or you can forget about it, let it do what it wants and hope that it will come back up in time.

Now, numbers are something that have never bothered me - so I'm inclined to leave them to do as they will since I take pride in knowing that my content is the best work that I can do and all my feedback is good - which is good enough for me.

The way I see it is that no numbers will turn round to their friends and say "Hey, did you see this?" in the way that people can, will and do - that's why lensrank or even hubscores don't phase me. For all we know, they could just be randomly assigned numbers (obviously, they aren't - but that's neither here or there).

4. RockyMountainMom profile image69
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

I know the recent changes have been widely discussed, but things do seem very out of whack all over again.

The last few days, my individual hub scores are changing almost hourly at times.

I'm mostly not worrying about scores and getting used to them all being lower.  But earlier today I made changes that brought a few scores up over the course of the day. 

But those have now gone back down again (having gone back and forth in the interim).  Most of the scores are now up and down many times a day....it blows my mind that any score algorithm could be THAT responsive to ANY criteria....they are changing faster than hubpages even seems to track views! (Though according to a post earlier in this thread, views are no longer a factor in scores??)

I noticed my community activity raised my hubber score a little a few days ago.  However, when everything dropped/changed a few weeks ago, it stayed up where it had been, until I got active in forums & Q&A, then fell several points.

The frequency of changes to scores now is really baffling.

1. favored profile image61
      favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What kids of things should we look at to improve our score?

The only thing you can do is try to get better scores on your Hubs and not publish any new ones for a while.

Most people here, however, just ignore the Hubber Scores and carry on.

1. RockyMountainMom profile image69
          RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would concur with carrying on and not worrying about them, at least for now.

The "usual" things (previously, based on my short time here and advice from experienced folks in forums) would be double checking for typos and formatting issues (extra white space, etc.), improving or increasing content, adding better media....general fixes to improve a hub or make it current.

Currently, though, that type of work is having bazaar impacts on scores, so it is just as likely to be frustrating as helpful.  If things level out again, look through forums for the kinds of fixes that often help---in the mean time, though, I don't think you'll get a good feel for what really works and what doesn't based on how the scores change in response to added work.

*Disclaimer---this morning I see one exception.  One of the hubs I fixed yesterday is ten points higher after bouncing around all day.  I fixed the title and the intro, primarily (which I do think were improvements), and I think this is one of the more logical/notable score responses I've had since things changed a few weeks ago.  If this were consistent, I'd do more fixing.

favored.....the truth is NO ONE SEEMS TO KNOW.  This is what this entire thread is about.  It's just another mystery that seems to be something to control the masses, by keeping them in a state of confusion.  Hang in there.

1. favored profile image61
          favoredposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  Seems to be a considerable amount of views on this.  I guess I'm going to walk it out and see how it works.  Not sure if I should write new hubs for wait for all mine to transfer.

5. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

Hub scores ans Hubber Scores remain a mystery - reminds me of the Rawhide Theme song
    ' don't try to understand 'em
    just drive 'em rope 'em brand 'em
    soon you'll be living high and wide!

A further mystery is why the formulae have to be soooooo complicated and seemlingly without much common sense.

1. SandyMertens profile image76
      SandyMertensposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have read some poor hubs with high score on them. It seems like it is the same people with these scores which reminds me of a popularity contest. I have seen amazing hubs with poor scores. It is a mystery. Wish they would do away with it completetly.

1. Rock_nj profile image91

Good observation Sandy.  I read some Hubs by a Hubber with a 100 Hubber Score, and was astounded by how poorly they were written.  This Hubber has 1,000s of Hubs.  The writing made me wonder if they were actually writing the Hubs or using some kind of computer program or perhaps content farm to create them. Very disappointing to see a Hubber with a 100 Hubber Score with such poor writing.  I was expecting to be wowed, and was terribly let down.  Another indication that the Hubber Score is meaningless.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.  Here are the top Hubs on the site, according to the Hub Score:
          http://hubpages.com/hubs/best/

So much for best practices and the advice in the learning pages regarding formatting, style, blocks of text, white spaces, engagement........frustrating.

2. Buildreps profile image85

yikes omg, I just looked at this link. It's full of garbage. Hubpages starts to look like Bubblews...

Rock.....I purposely spent 2 entire days of my valuable time, cruising through our community with the express purpose of reading a few hubs from each hubber I could find with a score of 96 to 100.  If you think you were horrified with one that you came across, you would never believe what you could find if you did what I did.
          I had to literally rest between hubs from sheer shock and fatigue.  The easiest way for me to describe the literal trash I read, is to simply say that they were written by illiterate 5 year olds,  Grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, as well as any grotesque error you can name were what I found in more than HALF of the 100 I chose to read.  One male hubber with a hubber score of 98.....had 2 sentences in particular within the body of his hub.  One sentence was 32 words long....without pause, intention or reason.  The same RUN-ON sentence had 6 misspelled words and the words "there, their and they're"  ALL used for the incorrect meaning!  I spent more time correcting and translating than I did  actually reading non-stop. His other run-on sentence was 40 words long...believe it or not and in much worse shape than the previous.  Tell me again, WHO is guarding the hen house??
          I shared this info privately with some of my good hub-buddies, who also happen to be incredibly prolific and hugely-talented writers, yet struggle with hubber scores that fluctuate between 85 -90.
          They were not at all surprised, since they have seen the exact same thing in their travels.
          If this is not a direct, blatant slap in the face, I'm afraid I don't know what could possibly be.  Yet, we will still continue to hear the BS that "it doesn't matter.....it means nothing."
          Based on my investigation, I see it has very little to do with "ability, talent and command of our beautiful English language.".this is for certain!.....Other than that, we're still in the dark.
          I wonder, who do "they" think they are kidding?

1. Rock_nj profile image91

Thanks fpherj48 for sharing your unfortunate experience reading the top rated Hubs.  I agree that these highly rated / poorly written Hubs are a slap in the face to all the talented writers at HubPages who work hard to create good content that is grammatically correct.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91

I've reported several such hubs, but they are still up.

3. Writer Fox profile image30

You have to remember that the MTurkers who rate the Hubs for QAP only get paid 5¢ to read and rate a Hub.  They can only rate 100 per day to earn their $5. That's how the Hub Score is determined.  The Hubber Score is mainly a reflection of those combined scores, not forum posts, comments, or other activity on the site. 
            https://www.mturk.com/mturk/searchbar?s … 2ES1DAIYZZ

http://hubpages.com/faq/#MechanicalTurk

Only  partly, though.   Paul Edmonson said traffic is still a component of the score, just not such a large one as it used to be:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123954? … ost2624661

I've been trying to find the post a few weeks ago, where he detailed the other factors in addition to QAP, which were numerous.  They are noticeably different from the old criteria, though.

Yes, that's one of the links I posted further back on this thread.  Here's another one :
                http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/124277? … ost2630138

The 2013 post is now outdated, as is the definition in the Learning Centre article.

This is the link I was looking for:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/123705? … ost2619880

The significant parts of that post are that HubScore now includes:

"- Boosts for how we measure reader happiness
                  - Improvements to our auto rater that feeds into HubScore"

So, reader happiness and the "auto rater" both feed into HubScore, as well as traffic (to a small degree) and the QAP Rating.

I'm assuming the auto rater refers to the Stellar Hub check boxes, amongst other elements.

I don't know of any other recent posting that he has made about this.  You could check the activity on his Profile or search on Google.  Whatever else he has said, I guess it's pretty much hidden away somewhere or there wouldn't be so many questions about it all the time on the forums.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

The extra white space between text capsules if a pain. It seems like part of the problem is the size of Amazon capsules.

7. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 9 years ago

The Hubber Score makes no sense in this universe or any alternative universe.  Many have reported the same thing.  Do nothing, the Hubber Score goes up.  Publish some Hubs and participate in HubPages and the Hubber Score goes down.  They should either fix the scoring methodology or just stop keeping track of it.  What they are doing regarding the Hubber Score has no explanation.

LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't get it either.  All of the things written about how to get hub score up, or hubber score up, actually makes the scores go down.

8. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

Rock...You are right!  and I might add to your comment:  Whatever it is they do in terms of the Hubber Score, can and DOES affect each & every hubber, REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS REPEATEDLY STATED. Writers are sensitive, focused, goal oriented individuals.  NO one wants to see their hard work be graded by "robots," perhaps, nor even moreso, do we appreciate the complete lack of EXPLANATION as to why our scores fluctuate radically and unreasonably.   (Talk about disappointment & disillusionment!)   This surpasses unfair and goes straight into cruelty.
    We are continually reminded our score, "doesn't matter.....it means nothing."  The huge question then becomes WHY EVEN POST A HUBBER SCORE IF IT IS SO MEANINGLESS?   
    The reality is it MATTERS to each hubber.  This has been made clear by hundreds, on a daily basis.  It's also blatantly obvious that those who insist it should not be of concern.....are hubbers who maintain a score of 95 & above.  Of COURSE they're not concerned.  The others who may not care about their hubber score in the least are those who are making high continual payouts.  The latter are those who rapidly put out the "How To,"  "Why" & "Evergreen" hubs & do not interact with others, nor participate in anything within the community. If you do not fit into either of these groups.....THE HUBBER SCORE WILL BE A CONSTANT REMINDER OF NEGATIVITY.   
    The absolute JOY, celebration and feeling of accomplishment for any & every Hubber who may reach 100.....speaks VOLUMES of what our score truly means to us!
    Will this ever change?  Probably not.  As sincerely as I understand and empathize with this disappointment hubbers can suffer, I had to decide to simply not care but to "ignore" it all and just follow my heart and remain true to myself and my love of writing.
    I accept that these things mean absolutely nothing to HP.  I further accept that we are graced with HIGH hubber scores that remain high, ....only when we bring in the big bucks for HP.  Period. End of story.

I agree with your every word.

I do my best not to think about the scoring system here, because it just makes my blood boil. I'm actually doing very well, but I feel totally demotivated by my decreasing scores (particularly hub scores), which is why I haven't published any new hubs recently. It feels as though HubPages wants me to feel like a loser.

9. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
    Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years ago

From a purely behaviorist perspective, the scoring system is brilliant. The harder one works, the score goes down in essence only getting one to work harder or give in.  It weeds out those that can't hang and gets more productivity out of those already contributing the most.

Only for those on the very top does it consistently stay high and if you look at their activity, they live here.  It becomes a perk for time spent.

Conversely, for those who do nothing and scores rise, it's like a carrot on a hook.  It keeps the door open for wanting to come back and try again at some point in the future.

Further shaping of behavior can be seen in the voting up or down feature.  Someone who consistently gets voted down for voicing their opinion may eventually stop due to perceived disapproval.  Those getting consistently voted up regardless of why or by whom eventually feel whatever they are doing must be working as evidenced by escalating scores even if it's all in house votes.

They say gambling is one of the most addictive behaviors because it is intermittently reinforced.  You don't win every time.  In fact, you have no idea of even how to win but the occasional payouts keep folks coming back for more.

While I won't say scoring was designed with that purpose in mind, it does work that way.

What an egregious concept!!   It's very safe to say that 99% of the writers here (save the masochists) did not sign on here to be "played with and manipulated" by psychological crap related to human behavior.  I AM RETIRED FROM THE FIELD AFTER 40 YEARS . I am no schmuck willing to accept that an organization for freelance writers chose to play the dangling carrot game or to PROFILE the behaviors of thousands of writers.  Such utter nonsense.
      If that were even half-truth, HP would have set them selves up for guaranteed failure.  This obviously is not the case since they're fairly successful.
      While you are entitled to your opinion and to think the "scoring system is brilliant,"  it would be far from acceptable or fair in the least. 
      Those who insist upon claiming that "most hubbers IGNORE their numbers"....the real truth is the total opposite.  Do some checking.  Disappointment and disillusionment...questions and confusion throughout the site are submitted by the hundreds within a short span of time.

Thank you Writer Fox.....I love you.  I am not one to provide "proof" of what I know or share.  Readers are free to believe or doubt.  If they doubt they can search for themselves.  I'm not in the habit of claiming anything I haven't previously found to be accurate and true, so I feel proof is not my job unless in a Court of law.
          You're a doll for posting the links.

I am, aren't I?
            Here's the Writer Fox doll.  You, too, can buy one on my bio Hub:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9246572_f248.jpg

LMAO.....and you're funny too! Your back & forth with paradigm is sometimes my evening entertainment.....You are really selling Fox-Dolls.  OMG.....you ARE too much.  smile

More is better:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9248102_f248.jpg

"That's cute" was my second thought, after "hmm, what species of fox is that" (speaking of sciencey overthinking)

10. Writer Fox profile image30
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

One important thing to remember – especially for the Squidoo transferring writers –  is that if a Hubber Score drops below 85 all outbound links from all of  the Hubber's Hubs resort to NoFollow.

NoFollow tells search engines that the link is for an advertisement, an affiliate, or a site which YOU DO NOT TRUST OR RECOMMEND.  Therefore, if any of your Hubs contain links to your own Web properties (blogs, websites, your content on other sites), it would be best to remove those links on your Hubs until your Hubber Score improves.

1. pateluday profile image55
      pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is tough!! I would rather spend energy somewhere else for do follow links.

11. Silva Hayes profile image77
    Silva Hayesposted 9 years ago

So, I constantly live on the "edge."  My Hubber score fluctuates between 86 and 87, so I guess I'm always in danger of dropping to "no follow" status . . . even though in the past, I achieved a Hubber score of 100.  I remember how thrilled I was when that happened; I took a screen shot and I emailed all my friends.  I was shocked and dismayed when my Hubber score dropped.  I have done nothing differently.  I have one Hub that earns more money than any other, yet it doesn't have any big ticket eBay or Amazon items linked to it, and it has 21,000 page views compared to another lower-ranked Hub that has 97,000 page views.  I can't figure it all out.

12. ForEverProud profile image79
    ForEverProudposted 9 years ago

I'm new here.  I just had a few Lenses at Squidoo which have not transfered over yet, but I am enjoying my new experience here at HubPages.  This topic caught my eye because I have to say the Hubber Score is confusing.  I completed two new Hubs this week and been active as much as my time has allowed.  Yesterday, I started with a Hubber Score of 90, and yesterday was also my most active day since joining HubPages in reading and commenting on other Hubs.  Today my Hubber Score is 81.  Now I'm trying to make sense of why a Hubber Score which drops below 85 kicks in a "no follow" for outbound links.  I don't get it.  If a Hubber has created an excellent Hub and the Hub has been assessed as "quality" why should a Hubber Score effect the Hub at all.  You know "life happens" and I'm sure all of us have other responsibilities and interests that could reflect on our activity here. 

I just think the quality of the Hub and the Hubber activity are two separate issues and one should not effect the other. 

Maybe I'm not understanding something ... but I'm trying.

Jeanne

From 90 to 81 overnight? So sorry to hear that, Jeanne.

I really hope the scoring system here is broken and will be fixed very soon.

2. Rock_nj profile image91

Welcome to Bizzaro World Jeanne.  There is no point in trying to understand the Hubber Score because it makes no sense, and never has.  Writer Fox just posted a new comment from the founder of Hub Pages regarding the Hubber Score:   "Our new enhanced Hubber Score substantially reflects the data we have on the quality of Hubs and the intent of the writer."  The "intent of the writer?!?"  How do they quantify that?  The biggest indication that the Hubber Score is seriously flawed is that people leave for years at a time and maintain healthy Hubber Scores for doing nothing.  It needs to be fixed or abandoned.

This is old thread, which has been closed to reply, confirms that not even HP staff can make sense of hub and hubber scores--the first two pages are most interesting:  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/107466

13. ForEverProud profile image79
    ForEverProudposted 9 years ago

Well .... My HubberScore on the Home pages says 81, but now my HubberScore on my profile page says 79.  Activity today has been following a new Hubber, reading and commenting on a Hub, and commenting on a Forum question.  Not by any means a lot of activity, but activity none the less.  Officially confused, however I enjoy writing and sharing and I will simply focus on that goal.

14. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Yes Rock_nj 14      I looked at some of them Writer Fox.  Crazy!

On-line writing has a steep learning curve---I know this, and I think it's even harder coming from the sciences to adopt certain aspects of this trade.....

Still......I'm thinking hubpages can drive certain people mad(even those of us who like it here very much overall).  As someone mentioned earlier, the attention to detail and drive that writers tend to have in their make-up make these things at least catch our attention---we're bound to look for patterns.  So this is dangerous for more than just the pattern-obsessed science folks like me....I'm trying not to care and planning not to care....but my poor brain is still looking for patterns.....

(I'm taking comfort in the fact that other intelligent people are struggling with this, too, though.)

15. GypsyOwl profile image73
    GypsyOwlposted 9 years ago

I am glad you asked! My score went down as well. Funny thing. I added a new hub yesterday. Maybe 'average' scores overall have something to do with it. As my new hub started at zero everything... that lowered my overall score... my author score went from 87 down to 76.

I like Angela's reply. I think I'll stop looking at scores and focus on creating the best hubs I can create.

Long term goals...
    Have fun!
    Deb

16. pateluday profile image55
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

It seems that QAP process is being changed regularly so what was okay earlier is not anymore. I always work out my hubs when the score goes down.

17. Appliconic profile image60
    Appliconicposted 9 years ago

sad Hubpages. I agree.

18. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Marissa::  You just might be onto something. I checked my highest scored hub at 97 and almost every box checked.  The same with the next few highest in 80's.   I checked my lowest score, a few boxes checked.  1700 plus words.

I checked a couple in 80's.  The highest there did  not have a video.  Yet, the one with a video and pics, was lower than the other one.  Topic was about my dog.
    One of them is the highest in work count, around 2000 words.   Difference;  Traffic The one with most traffic  beat the one with video, pics, and even more words.

So, high scoring may or many not have videos.  Those with highest word count don't always score the highest.  They all are similar into number boxes checked.

The  difference:  Traffic

1. Silva Hayes profile image77
      Silva Hayesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But, what do you think about this?  My hub with highest traffic, 97,568 page views, has a score of 77.  My hub with the highest score, a 99, has only 4,686 page views.  Both were written in October 2010.

Silvia: Go to those 2 hubs and put them in edit mode. Make comparisons with the boxes checked on the right of hub while in edit mode.

Compare number of words along with

Videos
        Pics

1. Silva Hayes profile image77
          Silva Hayesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okay, the one with a 77 score (97,568 views) has 1517 words and 2 pics.  The one with a 99 score (4686 views) has 1738 words and 10 pics.  So based on this, it might be fair to say that the more pics, the better?

I hate reading something with a ton of pics that are bigger than a text box with 1000 words in it.  It looks like that is what HP wants when you break down those 2 hubs.  A ton of pics, I leave.  But you can try using the thumbnail for lots of pics.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
            rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I wouldn't try to presume one hub is rated higher because it has more pics, etc. Maybe it's simply a better written hub which gives a very good user experience.  My highest traffic hub is definitely not my best and has a score of 78.  I think with the Google algorithms and the HP ratings, the primary aim is to successfully respond to search queries with relevant, informative, engaging content. Traffic is just one factor.

The only thing we can do is compare lower scored hubs to our highest ones and see what the differences are.  My highest are the ones with the most checks in the guide box we see when we use edit.  We can make changes, and if they don't work or make the hub score drop even lower, we can always put our hubs back to the way they were.

When you say "rated", what do you mean?    HubScore can't measure user experience  (although Paul says it includes something called "reader happiness"). 

I agree that HubScore tells you nothing about how a hub is ranked in search engine results.

The score is a combination of several factors.   Take a look at the checkboxes on your highest-trafficked Hub.   How many are ticked?  On mine, the fewer the ticks, the lower the score.   However where ticks are equal, traffic makes a difference.

19. profile image0
    debW07posted 9 years ago

Interesting, I began the day with a score of 87. I published a Hub that was featured and my score went down to 84. Later, after commenting on a few Hubs and in the forum, my score went down to 80.??

That really makes no sense!  I was back up to 94 for a brief while this morning.  96 is the highest I've ever been....and I dropped a lot a few weeks ago but am now bouncing around 93 and 94, mostly.  But I posted a new hub last night and have been on forums today, too...so?  Why would you drop so much??

You've gained another point in the last hour, though, so you must have done something awesome?

You gained your 100th follower, but that was after you went back up to 81....

Hm, I dropped a point since posting that, so maybe I jinxed my score?  Bummer.  You're up another point now, though...

1. profile image0
          debW07posted 9 years agoin reply to this

This morning I logged-on to find my score at 86. It's kind of fun to see the numbers move all over the place. I don't know what the secret is but I imagine if a person continues to publish, comment on hubs, and participate in the forums, their Hub score will eventually go up . . . maybe. smile

Your scores yesterday were particularly intriguing!  The last time I saw this forum last night you were up to 83 or 84.  Since we both had the same pattern of a new hub and forum activity, I was hoping we'd both rise back to where we started.

20. Colleen Swan profile image92
    Colleen Swanposted 9 years ago

I was at 98 for some while. I have been more active with comments etc the past couple of weeks and my score has dropped to 84. Just a thought, when replying to comments on ones own hubs, using the commenters name generally is shown as a spelling mistake. This might be picked up as a quality error. I hope my score wont drop again after posting this.

1. Buildreps profile image85

That's an interesting theory, Colleen. Since I got totally lost in Hub scores and Hubber scores, I decided to dive some deeper in this matter. Hopefully I'll finish my latest Hub at the end of this month, and I'll surely add this one of you to this (with addition of the sources of course).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)